Mitsubishi GTO / 3000GT VR-4

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Howzit guys. I see these GTO's around in NZ but don't really know too much about them (apart from what I've read on wikipedia).

We do not get these in South Africa and have no idea if they're available in Australia?

My main reason for posting is to try find out what the general opinion of these vehicles are. I think they're pretty big for a coupé but seem to have more torque than a Legnum/Galant VR-4, I'm guessing this is because of the 3.0L displacement.

Wouldn't mind taking one for a spin

Cheers

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The basic run down is a good quick straight line car...but because they're quite obese (1800kg's or so), they don't handle as well as they should have.

G

Unregistered
They are a very wide, low slung car. Good cruising car but not one for handling. A nice set of 18"+ rims does wonders for looks. Non turbo ones are gutless, use mivec version of the later magna engine. Series 2 (no popup lights) much better mechanically....

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
They are a very wide, low slung car. Good cruising car but not one for handling. A nice set of 18"+ rims does wonders for looks. Non turbo ones are gutless, use mivec version of the later magna engine. Series 2 (no popup lights) much better mechanically....

Yeah, I noticed they have a GETRAG transmission on models 1994-1996 (Series 2?) and TD04-13g turbos (I think). Are those turbos just bigger versions of the ones in VR-4 Lgnm/Galant, the TD03s?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The turbo'd ones aren't bad cars and because they were sold in the USA there are massive amounts of aftermarket parts for them.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I've got vids of Matt Monet's (I think that's his name) 3000GT doing 10.88 down the 1/4...pretty damn impressive.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I love the look of the GTO, such a sexy beast. I seriously considered one a few years back, but was put off by the mechanical issues. One day, when I finally win tattslotto (lol) I'll get one, just for Sunday driving :p

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I think they are a bit of a parts bin special.

Everything the engineers could possibly want, jammed into a sexy body.

Unfortunatley weight is the enemy of speed.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Cool, thanks fellas - went and had a look at that thread. These cars do impress me, doubt if i would get one though - have enough trouble with approach/departure angles on my drive as it is...

G

Unregistered
They are a nice car but very very expensive to maintain and fix. Honestly the VR4 Galant is much much better value for money and cheaper to mainatin, theres at least some room in the engine bay. I have one customer nearly going broke trying to repair the vehicle. Any work at all starts at $1000.00 before you even open the bonnet.

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
i imported a 1990 gto tt last year,it was a great car to drive,great to look at,not very practical,speed bumps and driveways were a problem,i had no mechanical isssues with mine in the 12 months of ownership,not too bad on fuel if driven carefully,quicker than most standard cars once you were
rolling,all turbo models had the getrag box early had 5 speed latter 6 speed.superb brakes
cramped interior and boot for such a large car.
i sold it after 12 months and made $1500 so i was happy.
i would have a latter model as they look great.
david

MPBVr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Malc
Drive
1997 Vr4 Galant Type S
I've got a 3000GT as well as the VR4. As said above a bit on the heavy side but I think they handle OK. I was having a bit of fun with a Porche Boxter on a wet road road and he spun out on a roundabout but the 3000 stuck to it's line really well. Compared to the VR4 it has more torque although still only 280 BHP. Overall I prefer the VR4 to drive it's definately more nimble and has the "WTF was that" factor when you blow other cars away.

Attachments

• 3000 VR4 OZ.jpg
    3000 VR4 OZ.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 28
G

Unregistered
I've got vids of Matt Monet's (I think that's his name) 3000GT doing 10.88 down the 1/4...pretty damn impressive.

Thats old...

Here is new one - 9.05 sec:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOetWUV9Ow8

Btw, it's around 2950 lbs (1340 kg)... I wouldn't call that - "heavy"... :)

The basic run down is a good quick straight line car...but because they're quite obese (1800kg's or so), they don't handle as well as they should have.

Puma GTO - 1.02.250
Falken GT-R - 1.02.755
Project Mu GT-R - 1.02.632
Wise Sports GT-R - 1.03.454
Prince GT-R - 1.03.754
Razo/BP GT-R - 1.03.898
AIAUTO GT-R- 1.04.026

http://3svideo.vidiac.com/video/edbc...7b0134d13e.htm

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Does anyone know what are the best forums for these? Is there a local one, or is the US the best place to look? The reason I ask is my bro has one and he's about to start doing some work on it, but there is so little room in that engine bay it looks like a hoist jobbie to me!

I'm looking forward to pitting the VR4 against it once I get it... Mind you if I own his GTO he'll bring out the 74 'vette with the frankenstein camaro LS1 which will eat me on straights (just hopeless on corners ;)).

G

Unregistered
These should cover 99.99% of the questions... should they ever come to mind:

www.3si.org
www.stealth316.com

Btw 3si has a lot of interesting things even for us.... after all we do share a Mitsu V6 design...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Valmes you've misquoted me...I was talking stock. Of course the ones doing 10's and 9's are not going to be that heavy anymore...

And...with enough work you can make anything handle well. I was talking stock for stock.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

If I wasn't married (or had kids) this is what I would own now.
Impractical for family use, but they are a lot of fun to drive.

Regards
Gavin

Top Bottom