Mitsubishi GTO

G

Unregistered
Hi all what do you guys think of the gto (3000gt) 3.0 twin turbo 4wd. There is a v.nice and clean facelift version for sale close to me and i was wondering would it be a step up or step down from my galant vr4? whats it like, in straight line and round the twisties and is it reliable?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Slightly quicker in a straight line and easier to get performance parts for, but slower in corners and the interior looks quite cheap in comparison.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
They look extremely sexy but weigh about as much as a house. Would be a great cruiser though.

Check out www.pitroadm.com

FRONT%20BUMPER.jpg

Dsc00092.jpg

They don't just build GTOs either. How awesome is this Suzuki? It makes 200ps and has a bright yellow cage!

kei.jpg

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Ive been told they can be a bit like an elephant on rollerskates at times lol

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i like them.. but they look too heavy and

from what everyone is saying that they're heavy.. so i assume 8G VR4 (Legnum or Galant) would it eat anytime..

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
The big GTO's are heavy but they've got awesome torque and the 6G72 quad cam twin turbo engines have enormous potential for power.

The best thing about the GTO's are their deep, grumbly, low down engine noise. Even in the lower rev range, the bass of the engine really sounds tough.

I was going to purchase a 1st gen GTO during the 15 year rule sell out. Some Twin Turbo's were going for as little as $6,500 landed and complied.

My all time favourite would have to be the last of the last, 1999-2000 model 3rd gen GTO's with complete combat wing.
The meanest and best looking GTO's of all time i reckon (as seen below).

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

3rd.jpg

Check out this video of a stock GTO Twin Turbo MR vs an R33 Skyline GT-R V-Spec:

I liked the GTO so much, I put the engine into my old car. The conversion was also inspired by KB's (VR-04-TT) conversion which he did on his car as well.
These engines sounded so tough:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I like the 3rd gen the most too. I went on a 3000gt cruise a few months ago and there was a silver 3rd gen there, it was very nice :D

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Amen to the 3rd gen, looks hot..

The other good thing about them is that they were released in the states, very easy to get high hp out of em, here for staged upgrade info..

Also bolt on kits galore, check here and here.

Also turbo kits have an TD05 turbo bolt on kit, which included everything for like US$3500. This is like 500hp atw, full boost by 3800rpm... thats what we need...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
i like them.. but they look too heavy and

from what everyone is saying that they're heavy.. so i assume 8G VR4 (Legnum or Galant) would it eat anytime..

No, I'd say the GTO would be quicker. Heaps more torque.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
My votes go 2, 3, then 1.. I've always liked the GTO/3000GT.. I remember as a kid seeing my first 3000GT and calling it a japanese Ferrari.. it was bright red and looked like one to me at the time hahaha..

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
My mate has a 92 GTO with the 6G72TT and it is a whole world faster than the vr4. Torque up the wazoo!

EDIT: I should mention that I'm comparing this to a stock A/T Series 1 VR4.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I liked the GTO so much, I put the engine into my old car. The conversion was also inspired by KB's (VR-04-TT) conversion which he did on his car as well.
These engines sounded so tough:

Dude that is WICKED.. sounds soooo awesome!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The DOHC 6G72 can be a real power house of a motor in the right hands. Matt Monet (I think that's his name) has a GTO/3000GT in the 9's in the US, on a 5 speed box.

Here's a clip of my old DOHC 6G72 converted TR at Bathurst:

G

Unregistered
im seriously considering getting a 95' gto facelift, MR model... see pic. its got low miles and looks good at a v.good price. I was just wondering, iv heard bad things about their reliability, and iv heard they do not handle. Is this at all true?

Attachments

• gto.jpg
    gto.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 102

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
i have owned a 1990 gto tt and a 1996 galant and a 1998 legnum, the gto was manual and the other2 were auto but the gto was a great looking, handling car slightly quicker
in a straight line that the legnum/galant.
the gto got attention where ever you went while the other 2 don,t.
the gto was not a practical car very limited room in the rear seats,almost no room in the
hatch,not enough to stand up a normal esky.
saying that i would have another 1 but a latter 1 in a mr version.
david

G

Unregistered
thanks, what was the car like reliability wise, also does it use alot of fuel compared to say a galant vr4? i am looking into getting the 1 in the pic, its a later shape 6speed mr model.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Nas they're not bad, comparable to a VR4 really. Only real potential weakness is one of their strengths - they have so much computerisation and sensors its insane! Oh and there's NO room in the engine bay to work on anything, but that won't cause problems, it'll just be a pain if something does go wrong ;) Mechanics are known to HATE them...

Top Bottom