Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

I am looking to set up a couple of external MMCS units to see if I can debug and reverse engineer some of the GPS stuff. I have a couple of friends who have written GPS system, and are interested in having a peek at this system.

I need to set up a couple of external systems complete and running which I can give them to work on (not prepaired to part with my car - obviously)

I have got some parts coming from NZ, but if anybody on list has removed any, or has cabling or a front cut with components please let me know. I am interested in building a pre98 (4:3 screen) and a post98 (wide screen) serups so I can see the difference in the controllers, and in the software.

Regards

Gavin

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sounds like a fantastic idea, Gav! Unfortunately I can't help with donar parts, but will be very interested to hear the results :D

G

Unregistered
Hey mate, it will be extremely hard to get the MMCS units here in OZ, I'm guessing UK and NZ would be the go. Have u tryed Kempys in NZ ?
I would be very keen to see how u go with it ... There are a few MMCS guru's around the world that would love to help and see how this goes.
I have the 16:9 screen in my vr4 with the translated disk, which I received from a guy called Felix in NZ (maybe he can help ?)
Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Gav check out this link mate. I have a guy in Japan who can bid on gear selling on Yahoo.co.jp who will also post it out for a small fee. Its a bit of a struggle searching through all the listings but well worth the effort as you never know what you might find.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Guys,

A little update here.

I bought a full MMCS unit through trademe.co.nz
It landed here today, and I have unpacked and had a bit of a look at it. It is the Facelift Widescreen version, so I will transplant this into my car, and pull the earlier one out.
When I get back from Sydney (Late this month) I will begin chasing connectors and alike to be able to manufacture enough of a wiring harness to hook the screen and GPS units together.
That is after I open her up and peek inside.

Regards
Gavin

G

Unregistered
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay/how much do the units usually cost?

Leigh

G

Unregistered
Excellent work Gavin ... thanx for the update ... This will be fantastic if u can work the dam thing out ... If I can help in anyway let me know as I'm a big fan of the MMCS ...
Cheers

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey There,

I paid $550NZ ($501AU) including postage for the Screen, CD Stacker, Nav unit and climate control (No Radio Supplied). This is more than I wanted to pay, as it has no wiring harness or alike. In this state, I expect that the system like this should have cost no more than about $300AU.
If it was fully complete, with Radio, Dash surround and wiring harness then $1000AU would not be an unreasonable price to pay.
I basically bought it, because after almost 2 months of looking, it was the only one to appear.
At the end of the day, it falls into the category of R&D expenditure, to be recouped if I can get something working.

Regards
Gavin

G

Unregistered
Gavin - PM me your email address... I have something that will help you in your quest, as I too am an MMCS-Fanboy!:D

G

Unregistered
Is there a list or collection of part numbers for these systems.?
Are there common components between different vehicles?

I know there are some folk on the Delica forum that are also keen on the MMCS.
Those that have wandered down the Rev.Eng. path have been able
to source some components from members who have removed theirs and
just had it sitting around in the garage. Postage only was the price for some.

Although, the people that are looking at it don't come across as the types
that are likely to actually achieve anything usefull. Tinkering mostly.

Still, could be something to be gained...
As for me, I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it.

G

Unregistered
I just purchased another MMCS system off trademe
Includes touch screen, radio, navi unit, all wires and a wing mirror to play with so I can see what size the glass is.

I will then play with it externaly and see what I can hook up to it.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Did we get anywhere with this??
My car came with the factory stacker, sat nav but after market screen/head unit. I would love to get this up and running.

Top Bottom