My wonderful courtesy car

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4

YES! It's a 2005 Mitsubishi Colt Series 2...

It has 2 acres of dashboard and a boot big enough for a packet of biscuits but I'm quite surprised actually, I was expecting to be far more critical of it.

It's 1500cc MIVEC engine produces 78kW and 143nm through a CVT auto-trans who's shifter, oddly enough, is column mounted.

The "handbrake" no longer exists and is now foot operated, sort of like a Mercedes pedal to disengage, except this does both engage and disengage...

Having been a left-foot braker ever since I've had my Legnum I need to get used to using my right foot, I have big feet and my left foot tends to catch the handbrake rather than the footbrake!

Good fuel economy - not sure how big the tank is but I suspect it's 40 or 45L - I've done just over 300km and the needle is just above 1/2 way. That's including my "testing" phases :p

I've managed to get it to 150km/h but when a gust of wind caught the car as if it was a sail and nearly blew me in front of a truck, I backed off a tad.It has ABS brakes with EBD and they work very well... Did a couple of test runs down my street and car just about endos when you floor the brake pedal.

It also accomodates my 2.02m brother in the back fairly well (with the front seat forward) and he has plenty of headroom. The 4 cup holders (1 in each door) are conveniently placed and can accomodate decent sized drinking vessels.

Downsides - it's woefully slow from a standing start but once it passes 3500rpm and unleashes the "fury" of the MIVEC engine, it can get to 100 in a reasonable amount of time.

It's ugly as sin - especially this "guava" colour...

On the whole though, a fairly decent car - just not for me. :)

*** The heart of the "beast" ***

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
It's not that bad.

Just put couple of maccas trays under the rear wheels and pull the handbrake on for instant fun !!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
pity it isn't the same car as William's, then you could give him an opinion on what he had done to it. Remember he was the only one on the cvr4 cruise that had to fill up!

Does it have various locked ratios that you can engage via a tiptronic mode, or is it just 'drive'

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
The colour of William's was infinitely better than mine :p

Well... there is a D selection and then there is Ds. When you engage the latter it accelerates a bit quicker and gets the revs higher but you need to change to D once you go over 110 or so because the scream gets a bit worrying! :)

there is also another L mode which I'm guessing is low ratio for climbing hills and (God forbid) towing... I've not bothered using it.

It does sound strange when you accelerate though, it sounds like it holds the same gear from start to 140km/h. I'm guessing that has something to do with the CVT?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Btw Brad were you heading south on Southern Motorway this afternoon at about 1500? I saw an oncoming Trigger Legnum with EVO style bonnet but couldn't read the registration plate because of the concrete median.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
nahh, I had the blue one today and I didn't leave the office the whole day.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
The colour almost looks like faded red. 78kw from 1.5l is pretty decent too. Is the the same model as the Ralliart Colt ?

maori_by_nature

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
97 Legunm VR4
well at least it's a mitsi they gave u n not a subaru..... then again...... lol

G

Unregistered
hahaha - my bro was going to buy one of the new ford focus XR6 tubos - but instead bought the colt raliart turbo - he said it drove better than anything he had ever been in.

But still - they are ugly as sin only 113Kw and cost twice the price of the standard non turbo version - I think he has lost it!!!

He has owned a Lancer GSR (the one with the evo kit - but is only really a GL) and then a non turbo Supra with the full vielside kit - so his buying a colt was a very strange move - still do not quite understand it!!

I guess the salesman knew exactly what he was doing when he took my bro for a spin down a side street with a stack of round abouts on it - impressed my bro no end!

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
The colour almost looks like faded red. 78kw from 1.5l is pretty decent too. Is the the same model as the Ralliart Colt ?

Not sure what a Ralliart Colt is but yeh - the 78kW is pretty decent and pick up is strong after 3500rpm.

It really is a great car for what it is. I've done 480km and have used 75% of my indicated fuel!

I really can't wait to get my car back though :(

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
78kw from such a new engine isn't that good, i still like my other civic 1988 with 72kw, lol, keeps up with v6 commodores til 3rd gear, lolz.......waiting for a legnum

Top Bottom