Near impossible to get into gear (manual)

Swifty Devil

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
C ameron Humphreys
Drive
1997 Legnum Super VR-4
Since i bought the car ive always noticed first to second was notchy and hard to engage... however when i went to drive the car tonight it wouldnt engage at all...

I noticed when trying to change car it felt as if the whole car was moving.

I know i need new gearbox mounts could this be causing a misalignement? Possibly an issue with the linkage?

The previous owner installed a new clutch and said the workshop said it was a more difficult job than they were expecting.

Any ideas?

:D :D :( :(

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
My guess, if I had this problem and me not knowing why, id be first looking at the gear cables, linkage and see if they are free or maybe something is jammed.
Check if cables are free, check on gearbox if linkages are on properly, maybe take them off and check if those arms on gearboxvconnected to the cables are not jammed and check under middle console (where gear stick) and make sure everything in the is free including the actual gear stick as well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but thats what id be doing first.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Since i bought the car ive always noticed first to second was notchy and hard to engage... however when i went to drive the car tonight it wouldnt engage at all...

I noticed when trying to change car it felt as if the whole car was moving.

I know i need new gearbox mounts could this be causing a misalignement? Possibly an issue with the linkage?

The previous owner installed a new clutch and said the workshop said it was a more difficult job than they were expecting.

Any ideas?

:D :D :( :(
Does reverse do it too?
If so, sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging fully if the car is starting to move.

If not it could be the cables

low+vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 VR4 Legnum MT
I have the exact same issue, only first to second. Car is in storage so haven't had a chance to look at it properly. People have told me its either the synchro or the shifter cables.

Top Bottom