Need a little Evoscan guidance for checking for knocks

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi folks,

I have EvoScan and the cable and all that, but my EvoScan skills are still crap. Doesn't help that it's a bloody hard interface to use...

Anyway, I'd like to set up some quick logging to check for knocking. Car is going in for a tune soon and I'd just like to make sure there are no hidden surprises for Steve which I could potentially fix in advance.

I saw someone post some log images that showed knock events. I just don't know how to drive the interface to get that kind of graph up.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I don't know that you need to bother. Steve looks at all that stuff and fixes it when he tunes anyway.

(unless you think there is a problem with your turbo plumbing or fuel lines or something, and are using Evoscan to find it)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Ye
I don't know that you need to bother. Steve looks at all that stuff and fixes it when he tunes anyway.

(unless you think there is a problem with your turbo plumbing or fuel lines or something, and are using Evoscan to find it)
Yeah that's my concern. Just in case there's something odd going on.

Car is running on 98 RON, but I could swear at high rpms there is a subtle sound of pinging. It could just be induction noise it's so subtle, hence I'd like to have a look. Boost is stock.

The last thing I want to do is rock up for a tune and have Steve tell me that the tune he managed to put in given the time available was a bit shit because there is a mechanical issue I needed to deal with already. I've got two weeks to fix anything I find, which is plenty.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I just log using Evoscan (or mitsulogger) then check the log in Excel. You can then sort the knock fields in numeric order to check max counts.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I used mitsulogger, then graphed via a google docs spreadsheet. Also, filter upon the knock column to only show rows with knock > 0 etc.

Got yourself an openport 2?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
OK so I did it. 3rd gear pull all the way to redline. Gosh, you need a fair bit of road to do that.....*cough*.

Anyway, I just ran EvoScan leaving the defaults and just said "start Datalogger", did the run and then "Stop DataLogger". Copied the CSV file from the EvoScan directory in my documents directory and edited it in Excel.

Basically, the engine did not knock (as far as the ECU is concerned). I know enough about fueling to know what the basic data means, and everything looks good except the ECU says that WOT is only 95% throttle.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Hrm, apparently the 95.68% throttle reading at WOT is normal - i.e. don't mess with it. Looks like I have a healthy car.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Depends on the version of EVOscan and your ECU defs, If they're ok then it will graph in EVOSCAN

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
Last edited:
Top Bottom