Need help with my laptop please.

G

Unregistered
Het guys, I know some of you are pretty helpful with computers so I thought I would ask for help here before I smash my laptop to pieces in a bloody rage.

Long story short, computer froze last night, came back on, and is trying to run but its saying this!

apu9e9aj.jpg

Its been hours now, I cant system restor as it says it has no system restore point, it wont let me back uo 9r run in safe mode.
The error log says a file it is trying to open is being deleted.

I hate this crap!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
If you've spent more than an hour on it, it's time to back everything up (chuck your hdd in another machine and copy everything you want to keep) and reinstall windows.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
If u have the windows cd u should be able to do a reinstall from that. Should fix any corrupt operating files.

G

Unregistered
I was assuming I needed to do a factory reset, just didn't want to lose everything.
Stupid question, but is it as easy as removing the harddrive (someone else will have to do it) transferring my crap, putting it back in and resetting?
I didnt know you could pill the HDrive (on a laptop anyway) out or I would have done it already haha.

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
Yep, the back of a laptop (2.5") HDD and a PC (3.5") HDD is identical. Just a SATA connection and slim power connector.

If you have a desktop laying around, chuck the laptop HDD in there and you should be able to access you information. You may need to take admin control over the HDD depending on what OS you're running though (easy to do with Google searching).

All else fails, you local PC repair store should be able to do a backup of the files from there onto a portable for you if you have one to spare. Wouldn't imaging they'd charge much more than $50 for what should be a 20 minute task.

Once you have your backup you can just do as Dan suggested and reformat the HDD with the Windows CD.

G

Unregistered
thats awesome guys, thanks a tonne!

Ill see if I can do that my self.
What do I need to do a factory reset? Just select the option on the HP help menu?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Either your hdd has a recovery partition (in which case you can simply select an option during boot) or you'll need to put the Windows install DVD in and it'll boot from that.

Model of HP?

G

Unregistered
Its a DV7, there is an option to factory restore on the boot menu.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
What version of windows are you running?
See if you can borrow an original windows disk, the same version as yours.
Put it in the drive, start your laptop, go into boot menu, select the cd/dvd drive as your first boot up device, restart your laptop, windows install will start up, select "repair windows", repair windows should find the missing file and replace it with the one on the disk.
Your laptop should reboot and start up as per normal.
If your laptop starts up again with the windows install, you will need to reselect your hard drive as first boot device.
Don't forget to remove the windows disk after all is fixed.
This doesn't always work but it is a lot easier then removing your hard drive and backing up.

G

Unregistered
Yeah I got a message on my computer this arvo to do that, I was hoping I didnt have to nack it up to try it.
I have windows 7 home premium.

Top Bottom