Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
'96 Legnum VR-4
Hello everyone,

A little background on my situation,
A few weeks ago I had noticed various electrical faults with my car mainly DTCs for sensors and such having low voltage Eventually I tested my alternator and found it putting out only 11.23V at idle. So I replaced my alternator and the plug (pins had rusted and plug disintegrated while trying to repair) and started it again only to find the same 11.23V, eventually the battery died and now I've got to figure out what's causing the issue.

Basically what I'd like to know is if anyone had a similar problem and they managed to fix it. I personally believe it's something to do with the ECU wiring to the voltage regulator shorting out somewhere or high resistance, or perhaps is it an ECU fault?

Some other things I'd like help on are wiring diagrams/part numbers for the harness between the alternator and battery/ECU, so I can figure out where the fault may be and also track down a replacement if need be.

Thanks for any help you blokes can provide.

Regards
Michael

Minto_bug

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
'96 Legnum VR-4
Update: I've tracked down the harness containing the wiring however I've found two part numbers for it

1:MR329924
2MR329935
Could anyone, a bit more knowledgeable than me help me, tell me the difference between the two or help me figure out the correct one for my car?

Thanks

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
What alternator did you end up installing? Have you tried to charge your battery using a smart charger?
I was having similar issues 2 weeks ago and had a failed battery cell. Rubbish century battery less than 2 years old.
Lots of errors coming up too, the wierdest being "ECU strain" DTS 75.

Petr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Petr
Drive
Legnum 2000 - 2.5 V6 twin turbo Type-S, 4WD, AYC, 6A13TT (Weekend drive)
Galant wagon 1999 - 2.4 GDi Avance (Daily drive)
Galant wagon 1997 - 2.5 V6 wagon (Car for messy work - sold)
Have you solved this issue? Iam facing similar problem. New alternator and battery and output directly from the alternator wire (when disconnected from fuse box) is 9,9V, does not matter if I reving the engine or not. All fuses checked.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
While this hasn't happened to me I would quickly connect a 2nd battery using jumper leads and check again. A few years ago I did buy a dud from day one with a bad cell.

Top Bottom