NSW New member with a [ab]used Legnum..

Knightrous

Broken, Former Legnum Owner
First Name
Aaron
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Hi all,

New member and my first Mitsubishi (Owned plenty of Nissan/Subaru/Toyota vehicles).
The wife and I decided our regular 4 door car was no longer suitable for daily duties or long distance trips with friends (Her '99 WRX track oriented street car running E85, coilovers, aftermarket LSD's all round and R-comps), so the search for a new 4 door began. We looked at the usual taxi's (Falcon XR6T's, Aurion's, Legacy's) but nothing really interested us. Eventually I tripped over a video on Youtube of a Legnum one evening that suddenly brought the Legnum to the top of our list. I had always liked the look of the Legnum and IMO, much nicer than the Stagea or Caldina rivals. I'm a fan of V6's as well, the sound and torque delivery is always a pleasure (I've owned a 1MZ 3L V6 powered SW20 MR2 and have been building up a 3MZ Supercharged V6 for my AW11 in recent years.)

After a few weeks of looking, we ended up buying the cheapest one off facebook marketplace (What could go wrong, haha) which had plenty of issues, but was reasonable to fix in our books. The car is a 1997 COTY Legnum, Autotragic trans, has Tien coilovers, an Evo intercooler and some Evo 7 wheels. History check shows it has had 9 owners in NSW since 2014, so I'm assuming it's been owned by someone on here and/or has had enough issues that owners just sell it once they have emptied their pockets :D (If you've owned it, touch base!)

Legnum1.jpg

Legnum2.jpg

Plans are mainly to service and complete the usual maintenance jobs first.
Repair the dunny roll list of worn / broken things (Wheel bearings, driveshafts, AYC, valve stem seals, LCAs, etc)
Upgrades to include a better intercooler, hard pipes, more boost, trans cooler, oil cooler and a stereo system (Never been a sound system guy, will be something new).

Looking forward to fixing this nugget up and learning more about the Legnum in general!

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Welcome man!! and welcome to owning a COTY Leggy ;) They're amazing cars once you wrap your head around things and this forum is the best for any problem you have! I can guarantee you that she isn't as abused as some over here in NZ it's fucking horrific seeing the state of some of them! Mine being one of them sadly... she's been off of the road since June last year cause of gearbox issues and I genuinely haven't had the money or time to finish fixing her... Good luck with all your plans for your girl!! Surely update us every now and then while you do her up!!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome aboard, Aaron. Good luck with getting your car sorted out!

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 17.3a

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Knightrous

Broken, Former Legnum Owner
First Name
Aaron
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Thanks for the welcome Biggums and Mookers.

Already fixed the air conditioning today which was a simple job thank fully.
Next big ticket items are engine mounts, driveshafts and tailshaft o_O

Top Bottom