SA New owner after advice

teenymak

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Katrina
Drive
100 series land cruiser ZF 351
Fairlane and hoping to drive the recently purchased legnum super vr4
Hi all thanks for letting me join. Just purchased a 1998 Legnum super vr-4 as the owner didn’t want to investigate the issue he thinks may have been which was Blowing Engine management fuse under boost. Not sure if that is correct.

Had a mate who does a bit of stuff with Mitsubishi’s over to look he heard the fuel pump going with the relay in the engine bay bypassed so possibly something going on between there and the fuel pump maybe?

He bypassed the whole fuel system to try and crank it, it would not start while the pump was bypassed and everything still cranking.

the only thing he can put it down to is the relay or immobiliser is not letting
the injectors fire which is why it started on deodorant? We put a clip into the ifs 3-4 and tried that to no avail.

Now getting no spark a long shot but wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give a few ideas on where to start as I’d love to get her up and running and not just have to sell on without figuring it out

85129A4C-94DB-4B42-BF4D-BA3C6D0ADFD2.jpeg

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Hey there, welcome!

Fuel pump is dual voltage.

Under boost, relay feeds 12v to pump (and during starting) otherwise the pump runs through resistor block on firewall. So there is merit to blowing a fuse under boost.

There's plenty of info on here about the dual speed/voltage pump.

Last edited:

teenymak

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Katrina
Drive
Hey there, welcome!

Fuel pump is dual voltage.

Under boost, relay feeds 12v to pump (and during starting) otherwise the pump runs through resistor block on firewall. So there is merit to blowing a fuse under boost.

There's plenty of info on here about the dual speed/voltage pump.
Thank you

we did buy a new fuel pump no luck so this would discount that?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Now that I'm at my PC...

VR4 never had a factory/OEM immobiliser (which other Mitsubishis had), so if you're thinking its immobiliser, it will be aftermarket.

You've bypassed the IFS, which is good cos those sensors are known to fail. Have you confirmed there is actually spark? No spark could be crank/cam angle sensors.

No fuel/injectors would usually point to fuel pump. Is there voltage at the pump while cranking?

teenymak

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Katrina
Drive
Now that I'm at my PC...

VR4 never had a factory/OEM immobiliser (which other Mitsubishis had), so if you're thinking its immobiliser, it will be aftermarket.

You've bypassed the IFS, which is good cos those sensors are known to fail. Have you confirmed there is actually spark? No spark could be crank/cam angle sensors.

No fuel/injectors would usually point to fuel pump. Is there voltage at the pump while cranking?
Thank you for that No aftermarket immobiliser no spark and will have to check if there’s voltage at the pump when cranking. Is there a way to check crank cam angle sensors working or not?

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Check codes manually by bridging the obd port and deciphering the dash flashes. There is a list of codes on here posted by 'hotwire' years ago. Evoscan won't show all codes. Discovered that years ago when a cam sensor failed...

teenymak

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Katrina
Drive
Check codes manually by bridging the obd port and deciphering the dash flashes. There is a list of codes on here posted by 'hotwire' years ago. Evoscan won't show all codes. Discovered that years ago when a cam sensor failed...
Is there instructions on bridging the obd?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Is there instructions on bridging the obd?

Yes, just search - same as any Mitsi really. Bridge pins 1&4.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Also, when you turn the key to ON before starting, does the check engine light come on for at least 5-10 seconds? Does it eventually go out or not come on at all?

Not coming on is power related, so check fuse box in engine bay.

If it stays on, then bridge 1&4 on obd and read errors like @mezje suggested

Moose

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
Legnum
Is this the legnum that was up for sale the other day in SA?

Top Bottom