US New owner of a leggy in the States

Hakeemington

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Hakeem
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
What’s up gents, I just recently picked up a 1997 leggy vr4 5 spd recently imported to the states. It has about 133k miles or 250ish KM I believe.

Loving it so far it seems to have been very well taken care of I have been driving daily for about 2 weeks not and cannot spot a single issue.

I thought the idle was a little low at 650rpm with the AC off but after a bit of reading here I see that’s normal.

I plan on starting with a fuel pump upgrade, then upgrading of the entire exhaust(I have no emission restrictions so going crazy)
And a tune/re flash I have seen some interesting options from Havok engineering. Lastly larger wheels still working on the perfect specs

I’m open to any suggestions on where to order anything

IMG_1145.jpeg
IMG_1136.jpeg
IMG_1113.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1111.jpeg
IMG_1112.jpeg

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
For parts use Amayama, megazip or Partsouq. Also refer to the parts guide here

Mitsubishis's After Sales Program (ASA) is still readily available and the easiest place to get OEM part numbers.

I would be doing the timing belt ASAP.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
For parts use Amayama, megazip or Partsouq. Also refer to the parts guide here

Mitsubishis's After Sales Program (ASA) is still readily available and the easiest place to get OEM part numbers.

I would be doing the timing belt ASAP.
Is Partsouq trustable? I only used Amayama and megazip before.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Is Partsouq trustable? I only used Amayama and megazip before.
Yeah, I am confident they operate out of the same supplier(s) though. Every time I have tried partsouq for an item that Amayama doesn't have Partsouq later confirm nil stock.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Yeah, I am confident they operate out of the same supplier(s) though. Every time I have tried partsouq for an item that Amayama doesn't have Partsouq later confirm nil stock.
So probably they get the parts from the same source.

jdmftwyo

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Joe
Drive
97 Mirage to Evo 4 conversion
97 Legnum VR4
Welcome! as mezje said i would put timing belt service (Unless you have proof it was done recently via date not milage) to the top of the list.

I would avoid Havok for a tune and grab a 7202 ecu. Any tuner that deals with stock ecu evos can tune the legnum (You will also want a Intercooler and a intake before bothering with a tune)

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Welcome! as mezje said i would put timing belt service (Unless you have proof it was done recently via date not milage) to the top of the list.

I would avoid Havok for a tune and grab a 7202 ecu. Any tuner that deals with stock ecu evos can tune the legnum (You will also want a Intercooler and a intake before bothering with a tune)

Agreed, anywhere that can tune and Evo should be confident doing these. Avoid anything else unless it's a full ECU.

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
Welcome nice example But being a bit selfish I'm glad you guys in the US can import them now so more demand and better after market support for everyone. Hopefully

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
As Mezje said, timing belt, new tensioner, water pump and probably cam seals.
If you're confident, check your front lower control arms and ensure they're in good condition, there is write up on what can go wrong when they fail.
Also check out Viamoto in the UK, fair prices with lightning fast delivery worldwide.

Top Bottom