NSW Newbie

SMBenno

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
FTO
Hi there from Newcastle!

Strangely enough, I don't actually own a VR4 (although I have long wanted one), I do own an FTO.

For about 6 months now I've been preparing for a turbo build. Gathering parts and rebuilding the heads of a stock 6a12m motor and decompressing it at the same time.

Unfortunately through some negligence from myself and others the engine is cactus now after having it running in the car for a month (NA). So I've decided to switch to the 6a13tt platform (fits straight in). Hoping to learn more about these engines and their capabilities soon and I'm definitely buying a Legnum in the near future too.

Thanks,
Mike :)

hooter

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
neale fraser
Drive
miester blue legnum
welcome again . newcastle ozvr4 sub branch should have a meet

SMBenno

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
FTO
Definitely keen for a meet :)

Finally got my 6A13 engine today, begun the strip down for some new seals and a timing kit.
Unfortunately cracked the harmonic balancer bolt but I've got a few ideas to fix that tomorrow. Other than that it appears to be in good health.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
This is such a cool build, would be good to finally see an FTO be as fast as they look :D

Legnums are kind of the opposite.

SMBenno

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
FTO
Sorry, I'm terrible with updating stuff.

It's been a lengthy battle but I've almost finished the swap. Had a bit of an issue with the crankshaft bolt breaking when I tried to get the harmonic balancer off, which turned into me doing all the crank and conrod bearings...
Few little things (IC piping, custom patch loom, big brake kit) then it's off for a tune followed by engineering/rego etc.

Hoping (pending funds) to have it done by late march in time for a big FTO get together haha.

2mouo9k.jpg
sdz1v8.jpg
2v3rexc.jpg

I'll give the engine/engine bay a big tidy up before the tune so excuse the mess :whistle:

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Very nice. Who is doing the tuning duties? This thing is gonna be sketchy as when she comes on boost through those front tyres. Lol

SMBenno

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
FTO
Friend of mine has used iDyno down at Wyong and has recommended them to me. Dude has experience with a few 6A12/13 cars apparently.

Not too many other tuners I've asked have sounded keen to work on it.

Oh yeah and wheel spin is going to be a bit of a problem but im working on it haha.

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
Looking forward to seeing this once it's tuned and on the road!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Looks like fun. There's another that's done in fat north qld. Used to be on here but i don't think he is now. He didn't have a single on it though.

What turbo what ecu?

SMBenno

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
FTO
Kinugawa TD05H 16G and Haltech PS1000.

Where abouts are you located Steve?

There's another 6a13 FTO in the Gosford area possibly already on here, Bennoz?

SMBenno

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
FTO
IMG_2615.jpg
Pics of the brake kit I've put together for FTOs. Uses hubs bracket and calipers from a 1st Gen GTO, wheel bearings from a EVO VIII and replacing the cv joint with one from the rear of a Hyundai Tuscon. Custom branded brake lines Ends up changing the lateral position of the wheel outwards a tad. Still working on getting the ABS going.

Should have them all bolted in and working in a few weeks.

No hub to caliper brackets so hopefully no issue with engineering :)

pete_gpx

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pete
Drive
'97 VR4 Galant - Manual
Very cool project mate.

I've got an FTO with a 4G93T in it and it's loads of fun.

Traction can be a bit of a problem with mine so I can't imagine what it would be like the with big 6A13.

Looking forward to seeing some more updates.

cKuwpJA.jpg

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Looks like fun. There's another that's done in fat north qld. Used to be on here but i don't think he is now. He didn't have a single on it though.

What turbo what ecu?
Lol still here Steve welcome aboard mate take a look at mine just been painted. User name veegeeta

Top Bottom