No Forward gears, only reverse ('98 Galant VR-4)

G

Unregistered
I have purchased a 98' galant vr4 from a repo auction so no idea how this happened, it has the tip trans but doesnt appear to have any foward gears only reverse, and that works perfectly. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Also on another issue i am unable to join club vr4 because it keeps saying i'm getting the spam question wrong but i know i'm getting it right maybe somebody who is a member of clubvr4 could talk to them for me. So yeah help on either issues would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
best to take it to mitsi or a gearbox shop and get them to look at it. Does it actually go into drive and does it let the engine rev?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea sounds nasty, Matt. They could have chewed all the teeth off in the gearbox or something - you'll need a good workshop to take a look at it.

I've been having the same problem with ClubVR4, so you're not alone there! No word yet as to WTF is going on with that...

Welcome to the forums! :)

G

Unregistered
Further information: there is an empty 1ltr bottle of trans fluid in the back, and the transmission control cable looks to have been played with, i can see it running up the side of the drivers seat to ctr console. Also the engine-ECU, A/T-ECU and A/T control relay assemble have been looked at as half the bracket is in the glovebox and i can't find other half.

G

Unregistered
ive reported the issue on cvr4...
are both off you having problems with the anti-spam question??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yes Gly, negative response to the antispam question. Mentioned it to Kieran in another thread but don't have time to find which one (was, um, a little off-topic :rolleyes:)

Been having the problem for about a week now - tried probably over 100 times to do it, including all upper or lowercase, varied combinations of the other questions etc but nothing works...

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

The only way I found to register with cvr4 was to use the registration link on the UK side, this gives an automatic paypal paymetn request, and membership wsas completed in minutes.

When I originally tried joining on the NZ side, I posted to the registration forums several times, and it was 3 weeks later that I got a response. By which time I had done the rego via the UK side.

Regards

Gavin

G

Unregistered
I can't even get the paypal page to load on club vr4, thanks for reporting issue

G

Unregistered
just checked the trans fluid level it is right up to the top of the hot mark and obviously it is cold as i cant drive it, hopefully too much fluid makes the car not work in foward gears???? any info on changing the trans fluid or just letting a bit out would be much appreciated. Thanks

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
that might cause problems with it, but you should still be able to select a few gears. The drain point is at the bottom of the gearbox and is easiest to access if you first turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Drain about 500ml from it into a bottle that will let you fill the car up again if you have drained too much.

The correct way to measure the oil is to start the car when it is cold, move the gear selector through from park into drive, then into tip, then up into second gear, then back into drive them up to park. Turn the car off (this should only take you 5 seconds at most) then go and check the dipstick again.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea Matt, definitely follow Brad's advice there - autotrans fluid levels should only be checked after following the correct procedure. From your description it actually sounds like the level is about right, as it will drop a bit once your prime it properly.

G

Unregistered
ok the anti-spam protection has been dissabled for the time being...
can you guys try signing up to club vr4 again and let me know if your still having issues?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
ok the anti-spam protection has been dissabled for the time being...
can you guys try signing up to club vr4 again and let me know if your still having issues?
Done, thanks for that Carsten :) Successfully registered first time!

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the info will check trans fluid level properly tomorrow as i've just got home from work now and its 4am. Also just registered on club vr4 cheers for sorting that out

G

Unregistered
ok so i have been slacking on getting this car sorted but took a closer look at the trans ecu and it has the plastic rails which the metal bracket slides into broken on it, i'm assuming the trans ecu is the one mounted ontop of the other ecu? Anyway was wondering if any of the auckland members had a spare known good trans ecu or wanted to come round to my place and stick there trans ecu into my car to see if it solves issue. i will pay for your time ofcoarse. Just want to be able to eliminate this potential problem before purchasing another box for it. Also does the fact that it still has reverse rule out problems with the transfer case? ie Make the gearbox the only part i will need to replace?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've replied to your pm on clubvr4, I think I have a spare auto trans about somewhere.

I am going to tell you that it is 99% certain not the ecu though. What happens when you put it into gear? does the engine just rev freely as if it was in neutral?

G

Unregistered
when i put it into d or use tip and select 1-5 there is absolutly no change from being in neutral. The car has worn engine mounts and when i put it into reverse there is a noticeable sort of little lurch when it engages but into d nothing changes revs just go up if i open throttle. Reason i'm looking at the trans ecu is that the rails on the side that the metal bracket goes into are broken on the passengers side. When i got the car both ecus were unbolted still plugged in but i am wondering why who and what was the reason for unbolting them.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've just spent 20 minutes looking for it, I think I gave it away when I sold my white VR-4.

What happens if you put it into D and rev it, does the speedo go up? (I don't think it will)

I'm fairly sure that it isn't engaging into drive at all and will have something to do with the hydraulic pump or switch

G

Unregistered
your right the speedo does not move, do you have any more info on the hydraulic switch/pump?

Top Bottom