Noise/knock - When moving steering left/right

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey,

Has this happened to someone here, basically i replaced all 4 control arms at the front just recently.
What i noticed is now if i turn on my car and move the steering wheel left to right (not alot) i get like a small knock sound.
When i actually drive the car and move the steering wheel i dont hear it or feel it on the steering wheel.

Would anyone know what it could be ?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I have the same issue. Replaced lower arms. Noise can come from 1 of 3 things. Uni joint in steering column. Outer steering ball joints. Or the steering rack ends.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hmmm might take it to Pedders and pay for that suspension check they do and hopefully pin-point the problem.

Thanks for the reply Daniel, hopefully its not a serious problem to worry about.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
I have had my rubbers torn to shreds on a suspension check. Cost me hundreds to replace. I would just take it to some1 that can put on a hoist and have a visual check. Just be careful.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
When you replaced the lower control arms, did you jack up the arm to normal operating height before tightening the bolts. If you don't do this you can get some binding. Long shot but worth mentioning.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I got a mechanic to do the replacement's of the control arms - and saw the way he tighten them and was the way your saying by jacking up the arms to normal height and then tightening.

I'll see what i can find when i get time and post the results in case someone has the same problem to help them out.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
With the steering column uni joint is it just a case of reapplying some lube or have people replaced it?

Determined to sort all the options whilst doing my LCAs.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
With the steering column uni joint is it just a case of reapplying some lube or have people replaced it?

Determined to sort all the options whilst doing my LCAs.

I don't know price but I would assume it wouldn't be that dear to replace. To re-grease it wouldn't do anything anyway as ther is obviously play in the joint. I have this problem too. Still trying to track it down. Grrr

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
This is happening to me too -- hoping that replacing the steering rack mount bush will fix it as that's cheap.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
This is happening to me too -- hoping that replacing the steering rack mount bush will fix it as that's cheap.

If you do change them soon and that noise/knock goes away let us know, even if it doesn't also let us know at least that way we can kinda slowly get to the problem, i know not all cars are the same but hoping all this little knock sound is the same with our cars and we can pin-point the problem .

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
If you do change them soon and that noise/knock goes away let us know, even if it doesn't also let us know at least that way we can kinda slowly get to the problem, i know not all cars are the same but hoping all this little knock sound is the same with our cars and we can pin-point the problem .

Will do!

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Nope its common... but until now there have been several different possible fixes

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
OK, so the play in my steering wheel is gone. However, it's hard to pinpoint for me what the cause was. It could have been the steering rack mount bush or the fact my driver's side steering rack bolts were loose i.e. finger tight(!). Also, had my tie rods/tie rod ends and rack ends replaced plus other stuff. Almost every part of my front suspension needed replacing. In any case, no more clicking or play in my steering wheel, which I'm really happy about, but wish I could be of more help :(

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Hmmm thanks, might get one of those bushes if I still have noises after LCA replacement, it's cheap to try after all.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Yup, I think it was $12 if I remember it correctly...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I noticed this sound a while ago. I asked Jon about it and he said it's a common problem with the U-joint that links the steering column to the rack, or something like that. He said it's not really a problem.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Hey all. I just changed all my bushes to polyurethane, ball joints, wheel bearings and rack ends/ tie Rod ends. Now have a click/ knocking noise when parking etc under lock.
Kinda frustrating as looking for the solution also. But will be taking it back for diagnosis when she goes back in for the master cylinder. Will post here if they manage to resolve.

Top Bottom