Noisy timing belt...is it possible??

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, well had my major service about 3 weeks ago (all belts/bearings and water pump changed) and recently noticed a noise coming from the timing belt area. I initially thought it was the water pump but the guys at the shop have stated that it seems to be a noisy timing belt, is this possible??

Have a listen to this attached youtube link and you will hear a knocking sound, this is what I can hear at low revs. Please let me know as I am concerned as you could imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMCT7yuXpA&feature=player_embedded

Gary

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Eww, that sounds goddamn horrible... Something is definitely broken :eek:

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Yeah it does doesnt it. Going to have a look for myself tomorrow, not completely happy with answer.

Gary

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Actually after listening to it again I think that noise is a bit louder that what I have. I have found this clip with the knocking noise in the back ground that sounds more like it.

Gary

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
You sure they didn't replace your engine with a diesel?

Jokes aside, I hope it's not too serious.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Just replaced the original clip with something closer to what it sounds like.

Gary

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Kinda sounds like bearings to me but probably isn't so I'll stop typing now.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Aha. I thought the original clip was your car!

LOL F*ck no then I would have a problem that the first thing I found that sounded something like it but I have since found a better one.

Gary

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Well went and had a listen this morning, no sound until the engine warmed up so that eliminates the water pump and the other associated bearings. Seems it is just a noisy timing belt after all, they gave me a reassurance that it was nothing that will go bang. Seems Pajeros and Magnas have the same problem sometimes.

Gary

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Your timing belt isnt supposed to make enough noise for you to hear it in the cabin. Might not go bang, but if its making enough noise to make you feel like it is then something is wrong. Whether its a big issue or not, I would take it back on the grounds that it sounds worse after the service than it did before.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
They only have the same problem when the belt is adjusted too tight. Our engines have a tensioner pulley aswell as a hydraulic tensioner. It is CRITICAL that the tensioner pulley is adjusted correctly. Too tight and it will be noisey and cause premature wear on EVERY component it touches, too loose and the hydraulic tensioner won't be able to pick up the slack, then Mr. Piston meets Mr. Valve sometimes his whole family.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
They only have the same problem when the belt is adjusted too tight. Our engines have a tensioner pulley aswell as a hydraulic tensioner. It is CRITICAL that the tensioner pulley is adjusted correctly. Too tight and it will be noisey and cause premature wear on EVERY component it touches, too loose and the hydraulic tensioner won't be able to pick up the slack, then Mr. Piston meets Mr. Valve sometimes his whole family.

My timing belt started making strange noises 3 months after the timing belt job. Turned out it was too tight, had it redone and now its perfect.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
As Jonson said, it hasn't been done correctly. pretty sure its 5nm pressure on the tensioner pulley but my memory isn't the best.

I know other mitsubishi engines need 10nm applied like the 3000GT engines.

boothy_99

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rowan
Drive
2001 Legnum, 5sp
Mine is incredibly noisy also, not sure what it is actually, but my best bet is the timing belt. It actually seems to loose!

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Mine gets noisy from time to time. Almost sounds 'squeaky'. I hit it with baby powder every couple of months. That shuts it up.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
About to do 100, 000 service, what parts are needed? just bought a kit on ebay which includes the belt, Cam and Crank Seals, Tensioner pulley and Idler Pulley. I know i need a water pump, anything else you guys can think of?

Top Bottom