nolathane/prothane engine mounts

G

Unregistered
after having done my clutch, most of my engine mounts appear to be stuffed,
so thinking about getting new nolathane/prothane inserts for all 4 engine mounts,

anyone have any opinions about this?

I've never used them on any of my cars, how do effect things like noise/drivability??

good or bad??? or should i stick with OEM rubber mounts.

G

Unregistered
yep i know.

but nothing technical or opinions about using them,

dont want to buy them and find out there no good.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Carsten, how much are they!? and where to get it from?! my mounts at shot too..

IMO.. a polyurethane mount kit like what's posted in CVR4 won't make the car vibrate harshly due to the holes in the front and rear mounts..

give it a crack Carsten... I might try it next year..

G

Unregistered
follow the link kitty left, looking at buying the same kit, around $220nzd delivered

G

Unregistered
couple of pics with the inserts fitted in 3 of the mounts. I should be fitting them this weekend.

Attachments

• SL700159.jpg
    SL700159.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 97
  • SL700165.jpg
    SL700165.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 106
G

Unregistered
Be interesting to see what you make of them Peter. They look rather firm, but I notice the rear roll stopper is drilled which should help a bit.

G

Unregistered
Be interesting to see what you make of them Peter. They look rather firm, but I notice the rear roll stopper is drilled which should help a bit.

Yes front is the same and they are not as hard as some of the poly suspension bushes I've used before. The guys on the eclipse forums appear to be happy with the way they feel on the car.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The link you posted Peter, are they the exact ones we can use? The Eclipse ones? I'm after these too.

G

Unregistered
The link you posted Peter, are they the exact ones we can use? The Eclipse ones? I'm after these too.

Yes thats it. Fitted all mine today but haven't tried them yet as I have an oil leak to fix first. I'll put up pics tomorrow, Eclipse front mount only needs a very minor mod to fit.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yes thats it. Fitted all mine today but haven't tried them yet as I have an oil leak to fix first. I'll put up pics tomorrow, Eclipse front mount only needs a very minor mod to fit.

Sweet :) What did you have to do to them?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Oh I see. So you haven't just replaced the inserts, you've replaced the actual mounts with eclipse ones as well?

This would mean the insert on that particular mount won't fit in our standard one?

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid (comes naturally lol), it's just that the ebay link only shows the inserts, not the mounts as well.

G

Unregistered
only 3 out of the 4 inserts fit correctly in the vr4 factory mounts,
left and right and rear,

for the front you need to get the elcipse front mount if you want to use the front roll stopper
as its a fair bit larger than the vr4 one.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
with fitting the eclipse front mount.. i assume it doesn't matter having the mount itself having bigger diameter when it comes to engine roll.. but is it touching other parts?!

G

Unregistered
with fitting the eclipse front mount.. i assume it doesn't matter having the mount itself having bigger diameter when it comes to engine roll.. but is it touching other parts?!

No it dosen't touch anything and may be a good upgrade even without fitting the poly bush.

G

Unregistered
And my experience so far

On starting there is no movement in the engine and even with applying some revs no rocking can be seen.
Sitting in the car at tickover in neutral I don't really notice any real increase in vibration from before. Placing it in drive there is a little bit but not enough to bother me.
Out on the road with the ecu being reset the gearchanges are more noticeable and until the ecu has relearned it will be difficult to comment.
There is more "road" noise in the cabin but again not enough to be of concern.
Pulling away feels much crisper and it may just be my imagination but cornering feels much better possibly due to the engine and tranmission be held better and not moving about on the mounts and upsetting the handling.

My daughter noticed it was slightly louder as well but didn't comment about any vibration. I'll see what comments my wife make on her way to have some blood taken tomorrow and update thie thread as the gearbox settles down

The next day.
My wife didn't really notice much difference between before and after and she is quick to tell me if there is something she dosen't like.
Also today I noticed less vibration at tickover which may also be due to the engine settling down after the ecu reset.
There is no driveline shunt now going from neutral to reverse or drive. It definitely pulls away better from stationary and gearchanges feel better than before.
Another positive aspect when hitting bumps on the road the engin/transmissions weight has less effect so ride is not as harsh as it has been in the past.

This is a worthwhile upgrade and cheaper than replacing the OE mounts which I don't think will last that long before you at least need to change the roll stoppers again.

Top Bottom