"Normal" noise for AYC

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain' started by Connor, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Murph

Murph Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Justin
    Drive:
    Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
    That was exactly what I was thinking of doing. Good thinking 99.

2. bradc

bradc 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Brad
    Drive:
    Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
    too scared of it myself. Kieran on clubvr4 has done it though, apparently without any real drama's

3. naughtika

naughtika OzVR4 Stalker Moderator Trader

First Name:
    Christian
    Drive:
    '96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
    real drama's?! hhhmm I wonder what kind of "drama" he's talking about.. hehe

4. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    It should be easy enough - just probe the input terminals with a multimeter to check voltage and current draw, then just feed it that from a DC power source.

Speaking of which, is the AYC service guide available to download yet? If you want to send it to me Steve I'll stick it up on the site :)

Hmm you know what? If you can get the guide to me Steve I'll try to do it next weekend if I get time (including the DC input hack) and write a how-to. I need to do it anyway :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  5. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    Hmm just been reading over the AYC Service Guide and it all seems pretty straight-forward. For those wondering how to get to the AYC pump, here's something you might find interesting:

AYCHydraulicAssembly.jpg

This guide is for the AYC system on an EVO (IV I think?), but hopefully most of it should be similar enough not to make a difference.

6. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    BTW, according to the AYC Service Guide if you have noise in your diff you may have air in the system and / or not enough fluid. A fluid bleed will remove any trapped air and fix the problem if that's the cause.

7. Hipsi

Hipsi Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Trav
    Drive:
    D40 Navara
    crap, I'd better have a good look at mine then cause I get a pretty harsh graunching type sound...

8. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
  9. Hipsi

Hipsi Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Trav
    Drive:
    D40 Navara
    just did mate, you're a legend! I'm getting together my shopping list right now :) Just one question though, what's the Hypoid Gear Oil for? I thought it was just the SPIII that u needed.

10. Hipsi

Hipsi Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Trav
    Drive:
    D40 Navara
    SA, also further to the question above, have you managed to figure out the pressure switch? BTW, just ordered my (illuminated) 3 Way DPDT switch, and oh my sweet maraccas aren't they hard to find in Aus!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  11. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    There are three chambers in the AYC system, two of them take ATF SPIII and the other takes 75W90 GL5 Hypoid gear oil. Sorry can't remember the names of each system atm (I'm at work so a little distracted). Basically one system you bleed using the AYC pump and bleed nipples, the others work just like a normal diff (ie empty via drain plug, fill using an oil gun/syringe thingy... yes I'll have to edit this later LOL). I'm pretty sure I including links to the manual showing the procedure for those...

No. A week after I serviced my AYC system my car was off the road - I haven't exactly had much need to look at it since. Just make sure you don't run the pump for more than 20 seconds at a time, or design a slightly different

Err, not really... But then I have both a Jaycar and Altronics two blocks from each other in the city here *shrugs* You must have been looking in the wrong place ;)

12. Murph

Murph Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Justin
    Drive:
    Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
    The main differential body takes the GL5. This lubricates the pinion, crown wheel, bearings etc. The AYC clutch packs take SPIII. The filler and drain for this is also on the diff body. Then the AYC hydraulic system also uses SPIII. This is filled in the rear right corner of the boot and drained from the bleed nipples on the diff.

13. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    Thanks for the clarification Justin - wouldn't have happened if it was up to me today ;)

14. Hipsi

Hipsi Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Trav
    Drive:
    D40 Navara
    hmm maybe I just needed to go there. thorough search of both their catalogues revealed nothing

15. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    Really? That's a bit crap... I have to admit I think both of them have rubbish websites, though - I never check them, just pop into the store and ask someone to find what I'm after. Saves a lot of time ;)

16. rbrtpalin

rbrtpalin Leaving Skid Marks Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Drive:
    VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
    Hmmm.
    Ive had all my fluids replaced a couple of times now.
    Had no noise when I imported, however after lowering with G4's, 19 inch wheels with 235 x 35 and the Brembo updgrade, I now have the grumbling noise mentioned above when cornering hard. Sometimes even without the bars lighting up.
    I have checked for scrubbage on the guards, arms and wheels and nothing is evident. My thinking is that the diff does not like the new height it is at! (Used to have this problem on an old Monaro diff whining and my mates commo ute)
    Really do not want to put it back up though as the height is awesome! and the G4's (which are no longer made) have ceased and are no longer adjustable! (ILOVE CHINA)

Any thoughts on what this may be? Are there control arm componenets etc that may be moving?
    Ill check out the disc brake cover thing though!

Cheers
    -Rob

17. bradc

bradc 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Brad
    Drive:
    Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
    Haven't heard of the diff ever making noises because the car was lowered. Maybe you could remove the mods one at a time and see if the problem is suddenly fixed?

18. chrisssss

chrisssss Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    krsta
    Drive:
    99' s2 manual legnum vr4
    i get noise but only when pushing hard and cornering real tight not very loud but its there time to go to mitsubishi ey

19. rbrtpalin

First Name:
    Robert
    Drive:
    VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
    Yeh.... Might have to bite the bullet and get em to check it out while doing the diff fluids. Prevention is better than replacement i suppose.

20. rbrtpalin

First Name:
    Robert
    Drive:
    VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
    Cant take the mods off now as one of the CHINA made G4's is now ceased and does not adjust back up. Thought I could replace one, but they do not make them anymore or supply parts(Go JUST JAP at Kirrawee!) just outta warranty too. They were happy to offer me a new set though @ $1200.00 bucks! May consider a new set a little later down the track, plus I love the height!