Number plate spacers - where to get them?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Does anyone know where I can find something similar to the attached? Prefer rubber rather than plastic for its insulation qualities (yes, a stereo is on the way).

The compliance work shop fitted these spacers to the front of the car for the front plates. However, no spacers were supplied for the rear and my rear custom plates won't quite fit.

Heck, even if I could grab some solid rubber tubing, I've give it a go myself.

I've tried Bunnings and Clark Rubber but with no luck.

Attachments

• Number plate spacer.jpg
    Number plate spacer.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 57

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Bruce I needed something like this for a little project once and ended up using short cutoffs from a roll of corrugated electrical conduit. Because its slightly compressible you can cut a bit extra and squash it down and you have the same anti-vibration properties you're looking for in rubber.

The other thing you could try is rubber feet used for things like free-standing cabinets and speakers. They're usually available from hardware stores or places like Jaycar and Altronics. Just cut a hole out of the middle and you have yourself a rubber spacer :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
On this topic. Do we have any plates available in Oz that actually fit?

I was thinking of measuring those euro plates they are shorter but have 2 rows of txt.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I used cable ties for the front LOL

They're pulled tight.. But there isn't any rubbing or movement.. And I can lift up the plate to clean the front bar underneath it :)

It doesn't shake or anything haha.. The numberplate isn't even bowed at all :)

On the back, the guy I bought the car from made some brackets by bending some metal brackets in to a |_| shape :)

I lost the front ones in my boo boo lol so cable ties worked good enough for me :p

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
All it is (for me anyway) is just solid rubber piping. Clark Rubber would be your best bet.

I also have Euro plates and they fit on the back well, with a bees dick of space on each side. Didn't need spacers for the back.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Thanks for all the suggestions - it's very helpful.

Trevor, you were spot on. It's funny how re-phrasing a request can do wonders.

When I first went to the hardware store, I asked for some "plastic or rubber spacers". Their response was "don't sell 'em". However, today, I said "I'm after those rubber thingies that you put under furniture so they don't scratch floor boards". Their response? See the attached.

They even had those rubber "thingies" with a metal spacer built in and pre-drilled holes.

Lesson - ask a different way and you might get the answer you want!

Tom, cable ties sounds like a Bankstown bodgie job ... lol!

Attachments

• Rubber spacer front.jpg
    Rubber spacer front.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Rubber spacer rear.jpg
    Rubber spacer rear.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 26
G

Unregistered
Looks like you are all set. Also Bunnings usually have a section dedicated to furniture floor protectors, rubber dots, ends for your bar stools/walking sticks etc

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
It doesn't look too bad at all Tom.

I like how you've gone the white cable ties to match the paint ;)

My concern would be that any mug with a pair of scissors might be able to knock off the front plate. Believe it or not, but I once had my custom plates stolen.

Given the way fuel is going, I'm not surprised that the police have reported an explosion in plate theft used for petrol runs.

I fitted the rubber spacers today and it works very well.

I used 2 spacers on top of each other and this gives the number plate a much more flush look then simply using no spacer (which results in the plate appearing bent in).

About the front number plate, I was thinking about drilling some holes below the normal holes so that the plate itself sits a little higher and leaves no gap in the front bar. The only problem is that in order to get this look, I'll have to drill into the actual letters themselves. Hmmm ... what to do?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Yeah we drilled through the middle of the plate, to get it to sit flush.. It didn't seem to affect the look of the lettering too much on the front, so you didn't really notice..

I think it looks funny when you see BMW's and Astras with their back plates sitting so far down because they didn't drill it hehe..

The first plates I had on the car were drilled, when I got new plates I didn't drill it so it had a gap.. I had the accident, got new plates and didn't make brackets, now they're the above! :)

Some people tried stealing my back plate by snapping it.. Instead they just bent the brackets lol.. So now it doesn't sit as perfect as before.. Bastards.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Just cut some pipe dude. Im sure if you went to an electrical or plumbing supplier they would give you some offcuts for free.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
That looks like a hectic job Kitty Kat Front-and-back!

Top Bottom