Number plates

G

Unregistered
i had "ARRH 33" on my R33 (oddly enough) as "ARGH 33" was already taken.
now ive ordered "V ARGH 4" for the... legume!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
VR4TT

It's meaning is obvious to all of us here - but to other 98% of Australian drivers who think I own a Magna.. they have no idea! hahaha..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
My plates aren't as they seem in first glance....
That's rather clever ;) I know some guys who got various derivations of X, O and 0 (eg X0X, XOX, XOXOX etc). Whenever they got fines they'd just tell the police that wasn't for their car, sign a stat dec and it would go away :)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Just on a side note, besides using the herritage of a name to sell a product.
Why didn't the VR-4 become a VR-6?
Anyone???

Hey I just noticed something fitting, lol. If you keep shirt held down you will type VR$

G

Unregistered
hmmm, i agree, stating what model car it is is sometimes annoying, unless u combine it with a word or something to make it, ermm different, EG i know a kid with a mazda 323 protege who had PROT3G3.

lol, i was thinking of ded leg, as in numb leg, which is legnum.... GET IT!!! ah im sooo not funnay

putting 0 in the place of o is fun tho

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
It wasn't to do with cylinders...it was to do with 4wd and 4ws.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
People have different theories. Victory Rally and Victory Road are the most common for the VR part, but I've also heard Viscous Realtime being used.

The 4 stood for 4wd, 4cyl and 4ws but of course the 8G's only kept the 4wd out of those three parts

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Not necessary..the AYC does a very similar job, by altering the power to each wheel it can effectively "steer" the rear of the car.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Ive had my custom plate ordered since March :)

You will all find out what it is once i get my car ;)

G

Unregistered
Why DIDN'T they include 4WS? Too much weight?

because it is stoopid!
my 33 had it, it makes handling a bit weird, as it can be unexpected. (thus i ripped it out, had improved handling, and saved a good 50kg too)
rear wheels should be parallel to the vehicle at all times. :p

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
ford xe 351 legnum vr4 Ford G6ET
On my 1990 vr4 the 4ws was great, no understeer at all above a certain speed, 50km/h I think. On a racetrack the vr4 looked just like an evo the way it went through corners, with a slight oversteer sort of look when you were really pushing it. On the road if you pushed that hard I actualy had a couple of people in cars clapping and thinking I was drifting the car because of the attitude it got through corners. Without 4ws I would of understered off the road.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
On my 1990 vr4 the 4ws was great, no understeer at all above a certain speed, 50km/h I think. On a racetrack the vr4 looked just like an evo the way it went through corners, with a slight oversteer sort of look when you were really pushing it. On the road if you pushed that hard I actualy had a couple of people in cars clapping and thinking I was drifting the car because of the attitude it got through corners. Without 4ws I would of understered off the road.

Yea I agree - 4WS, properly implemented on a car designed for it gives you a machine that can take corners at rediculous (and otherwise impossible) speeds. It might well feel weird for those not used to it, and may even be unnecessary most of the time (although I personally don't think so). But I guarantee there are things you can do in a car with 4WS that just aren't possible in a car that doesn't have it. It completely changes your cornering attack angles as the tail will follow you AROUND the corner more, instead of through it...

But yea there are weight and complexity tradeoffs. Its no huge deal, but if I could have my wish-list, I'd love an 8th gen VR4 with 4WS :) ... maybe Mitsi will do something right and release the gen 10 with it?? :D

G

Unregistered
i highly doubt the 1.5 degree's of steering that 4WS offers in both mitsubishi, and nissan is going to give you much of an advantage in cornering speeds, and stability.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That 1.5° is an order of magnitude through a 90° bend... and exponentially more through a tighter corner. Believe me, when you're pushing a car to its limits, going through corners so fast you're only barely retaining traction, that mere 1.5° is the difference between a difficult corner and an easy one... or a fast corner and a REALLY fast one!!

That's like saying 1" height difference couldn't possibly affect cornering that much... Well no, doing 60km/h it probably doesn't. But taking a corner at 150km/h? That could be the difference between making it and losing control...

No a 1.5° difference isn't MASSIVELY significant... But then, neither are MOST of the performance enhancements we put on our cars. However when you do a few of them, its amazing how lots of little improvements can drastically improve your final performance... AND your bank balance :(

G

Unregistered
i've OWNED and DRIVEN (hard) a car with 4ws...
theres a reason 95% of track driven skylines have removed the HICAS, because it causes more harm than good.

Top Bottom