OBD II Scanners - Are they universal?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
our cars aren't fully obd2 compliant. I don't know much about it all myself because I have that aftermarket ecu that breaks all that sort of stuff, but if you wander around on cvr4 there will be lots of references to it.

G

Unregistered
basically, no a universal obd2 scanner/reader will not work,

mitsi decided to have there own special protocols/wiring,

you will be able to use one off those cables, but yoou might have to open it up, and do a minor re-wire to make it work,

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Have you got a laptop Christian?

You can borrow my cable if you want, and buy EvoScan for $25.

cheers

Lee

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Have you got a laptop Christian?

You can borrow my cable if you want, and buy EvoScan for $25.

cheers

Lee

Interesting. So what level of diagnostics can be done using this? I've done a lot of similar work with the Nissan ECUs in the past....just hoping that this will be similarly useful!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi, Evoscan reads erorr codes and logs all sorts of stuff out of the ECU - there's another one call MitsuLogger which is also quite good. The both let you graph the data in all sorts of wonderful way.

In got EvoScan and the cable for about $110aud. Check out limitless.co.nz

cheers

Lee

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Gly, you sure about that? my understanding was that OBDII (known as JOBD in Japan) was an industry standard so if you car is compliant, it's exactly the same as any other compliant car. Trouble is though that Mitsu might have introduced it either only in the series 2 or even partway through a series. Therefore if your car is prior to the introduction of OBDII, it may still have the plug but not comply to the standard.

[edit] ok, from what I've found, no not every scan tool will work. You need to have one that has Mitsu protocol support, however the standard openport cable will work without modification. [/edit]

the Evoscan/openport cable is specifically wired to put your ECU into diagnostic mode allowing you to download your ECU rom and subsequently reflash your ECU, however from what I can find out, there is no definition currently available to translate the rom into a workable file.......all in good time.

G

Unregistered
my ebay obd2 scanner doesnt work on 7202 or 7201, just tested it.

G

Unregistered
those obd2 scanners DO work on JDM evo 7 though.... which also have MUT protocol

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
That explains my LM2 OBDII cable not working I guess.... Bugger! Would have made logging so much easier. These ecu's are slightly older than an EVO 7 so I would expect that these may not work and the 7 may. The 7203 is equivalent to an EVO6.5 as I understand it

Top Bottom