ECUFlash Definitions

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I've found that the log is usually within 3 or so depress of whats set in the timing table. But that is clearly way off.
Does the car have any issues other that this? How close are the logs under boost?
Does the AFR match the target number?

What happened when you changed MAF for trouble shooting, if you haven't done that then try it. But something is overriding the timing number.

That said, are they your actual timing numbers?
I see in the first picture its 33 @ 2500 @40% and 34@2750 This is your 100km/h cruise area. You could comfortable set 36 there in both cells @40load and really any more than that is pretty pointless. I see 40-41 above 4000, you could go up to 38 but i wouldn't set any higher than that. 40 is a fcuk ton of timing.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Hi Bill @BCX
I've done some further testing.

Both HO maps set to this:

Both LO maps set to this:

Written to ECU and then re-read to confirm changes applied.

2nd gear, 30km/h - Has not changed the timing?:

Not sure whats happening. I don't think I'm doing anything stupid / wrong.

I've compared your 20030013.xml and vr4base.xml files with the ones that come with ECUFlash and with my untrained eye, can't see any problems.
I did notice they do have a specific "23810004 2002 JDM Galant VR4.xml" and my car is a late July 2002 model (40th last car built), but I can't see any differences with addresses or anything (that seems like it would matter) with that 2002.xml either.

The reason I'm chasing this so much is because I have had a nightmare run with the timing doing strange things, tune, detonation, re-tune. detonation, good, hang on - detonation, pulling -8 degrees everywhere, good, cam seal replaced (CAS re-seated....?) retune.... @TME_Steve scratching his head.

Detonation is all good now, but the thing is a bit of a pig low rpm / light loads and hunt/surges on steady throttle at 1600-2500rpm.

I don't know if it is even timing related.
But I'm thinking about either throwing a carby and distributor on it, or setting the whole car on fire.

If you get a chance to have a look that will be very much appreciated. Thanks again Bill.

My thoughts are that perhaps the fuel/ignition tables have been relocated so the std ones aren't relevant.

Send me a copy of your rom, or I can give Steve a hoy (need to chat to him about other stuff anyways)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Or when I get back to my PC, I'll write up some instructions to check yourself with a hex editor

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
My thoughts are that perhaps the fuel/ignition tables have been relocated so the std ones aren't relevant.
Send me a copy of your rom, or I can give Steve a hoy (need to chat to him about other stuff anyways)

That would be great if you get time. How do I send?
(Or Steve will have a copy if you talk to him first).

Or when I get back to my PC, I'll write up some instructions to check yourself with a hex editor

Keen. I'm really interested in helping with disassembly if I can learn how to do it.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
What's the difference with the 3 xml files? 0, 1, 3

2003001x XMLs are for specific ROM versions. depending on the year of the vehicle/ECU, it has a different software version.
All included so when you read the ROM off the ECU, it'll match one of these XMLs.

All these inherit the VR4base XML.

2003001x ROMs are the most common, but there is another ROM version that I'm nearly about to release definitions for.

Steve Avery

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Steve
Drive
Legnum VR4
2003001x XMLs are for specific ROM versions. depending on the year of the vehicle/ECU, it has a different software version.
All included so when you read the ROM off the ECU, it'll match one of these XMLs.

2003001x ROMs are the most common, but there is another ROM version that I'm nearly about to release definitions for.

Thanks mate, which one would I use for 7202?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Thanks mate, which one would I use for 7202?

Ecuflash should automatically use the correct xml when you read the rom provided they are all in the meta data directory.

Use evo 5/6 read template to read a 7202 or 7203.

Next lot of definitions ill include a read template so legnum/galant appears in the list of vehicles. But essentially no different to an evo 5/5 (memmodel h8539f/a)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Have updated the defs to include read templates:

upload_2020-9-24_2-8-0.png

Also included TCU definitions (will clean them up soon, haven't touched them in years) and definition for Kenneth Mods V1.03.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
New version available, not much of an update - just fixed a couple of things here and there.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
Love your work Bill. (y)

Wondering if we could start a Christmas wish list for these defs? :)

Because we have no chip key and I'm paranoid, could we put together something simple that would kill the ECU?

I dont have the pin-out in front of me but, say: if brake pedal pressed AND throttle percentage >90% AND key turned on = engage ECU immobiliser plus flash CEL. Same to turn off.

Or if ECU needs to be powered, then throttle off and on within 1 second or similar.

A simple procedure to kill the ECU, not as the only protection, but as another layer.

Or if the procedure idea doesn't work, then an input from a kill switch.

What do you think? Possible?
Will pay donations of dollars and alcohol and help you drink it

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Possibly can do.
I have a Valet Mode already written which moves RPM and Speed Limit. Could re-write to include option to kill injectors too.

If you'd like to be a tester for the code? (when I write it)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Well I'm super interested. I'll also happily write content for it (assuming I know what the hell I'm talking about).

Still interested in this?

Only taken a global pandemic to have some time to get something stood up.

Was playing with mediawiki at http://foxbcx.net

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
Possibly can do.
I have a Valet Mode already written which moves RPM and Speed Limit. Could re-write to include option to kill injectors too.

If you'd like to be a tester for the code? (when I write it)

Yes, most definitely.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
Interesting Bill, I see you've changed the address of the Accel Enrichment TPS Delta Multiplier..... Was 00011679, now 00011675. Looks like it makes more sense too.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Interesting Bill, I see you've changed the address of the Accel Enrichment TPS Delta Multiplier..... Was 00011679, now 00011675. Looks like it makes more sense too.

What's your thoughts? you thinking it's right compared with before?
I'm yet to verify these myself.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
What's your thoughts? you thinking it's right compared with before?
I'm yet to verify these myself.

I've seen this at both addresses, I think 00011675 was in earlier versions of the Defs (like the one that comes with ECU Flash) and the figures looked like they lined up with what was in Merlins VR-4 and EVO tuning guide.

The earlier defs location 00011675 table looks like this:
2.jpg

00011679 in the later defs makes it look like this:
1.jpg

I was messing around with this table (adding more fuel) when it was using location 00011679 and didn't seem to get any change with the car.
So I'll try this new release where it is now back at 00011675 and report back any results.(y)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
11679 seems wrong. the values in the last 4 cells look like the the header to the next table.

all 2d tables start with 0x2 0x0 <ram location msb> <ram location lsb>

3d tables start with 0x3 0x0 <ram location msb> <ram location lsb> <ram location msb> <ram location lsb> <offset>

will double check the disassembly for the definitive answer and correct it. (thinking it's 11675)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Latest defs uploaded.

Davezj

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum VR-4
Hi there,
where do the rom and def files live?
i have been following this thread from ClubVR4.com but i don't seem to be able to find the location of the starage system you are using.

i can see
https://vr4.foxbcx.net
this ink just seem to go to an error page.
and
http://evo.ripnet.us
is full of evo roms and data.

or is there a different link to the defs i am missing.

Top Bottom