Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Did a bit of a hunt around, and I don't believe there's a proper thread on Oil Coolers for our cars. So I thought I'd make one as I'm looking to put one in probably at next oil change.

I don't have much experience with it, but VR4 Gurus much wiser than me have recommended it as standard mod.

So, please contribute your thoughts/information and experiences below for everything oil cooler related.

From the right adapters, to the right sizes, to mounting points and even what products are out there, post it up.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Standard mod for those with autos was the trans cooler, not sure how many with manuals or autos are running them (oil coolers)...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I believe several members have installed oil cooler kits in their vr4 but either have not posted any details on what they used..

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
I believe several members have installed oil cooler kits in their vr4 but either have not posted any details on what they used..

Hopefully they will post some details here so we can all bask in their knowledge :)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Cooler is one thing, but with our filter placement we would definitely need a relocation kit as well.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Few points to note if you're looking to install a oil cooler, and/or relocation kit.

-Use decent hoses. China China braided line is often just crappy rubber hose under fancy braid. Personally I like the black braided plastic sheathed hose

-braided stainless steel lines can act like a grinding disc when it vibrates. It will cut its way through aluminium pipe. Make sure it's always bracketed and sheathed.

- An oil line thermostat is a handy extra part to purchase. Just like the thermostat in your coolant lines, it opens when the oil is at a decent operating temperature.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I have a Greddy oil sandwich plate with built in 80c thermostat and it also converts my oil filter thread size to a Toyota one. I have that going to a Greddy oil cooler. You can buy oil filter relocation kits from Greddy too.

That's on the Legnum and I've just bought a similar kit for the Galant.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Unless you're going to track the car, or do some decent towing towing I wouldn't bother.

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
@Dice any more details or links to the setup your using? And also how close is your oil filter to the ground now?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Height isn't too bad with z418 Toyota filter. I don't have photos, might take some next oil change but it's not complicated.

I agree with jungle too, unless you're towing or racing benefits are limited.

Top Bottom