Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
Just got home today, fair bit of smoke coming out of the engine bay from whatever this fluid is dripping down to the exhaust.
Red fluid, possibly power steering or ATF, both levels are still acceptable though so maybe something else leaking? Car drove fine the whole way.
I was leaning towards the power steering hose connection behind the rear turbo, it looks a bit oily but the drips don't make much sense?
Noted some fluid in the inspection hole visible on a bolt.

IMG_20171022_142351.jpg
IMG_20171022_142410.jpg
IMG_20171022_142421.jpg
IMG_20171022_142437.jpg

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Well I had hoped it wouldn't be that but seeing oil up in the housing had me erking... I do deserve it for leaving the ATF too full though. Maybe it will hold if the levels are back to regular? Would that be the Torque Converter seal?
Ima gonna need to find a diagram. In the meantime I installed the EBC :D
I just moved the car and it isn't pooling any fluid, not sure if I should drive it or not... It doesn't seem to feel like there's any issue with the trans operation

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
I've replaced the gearbox (manual) in my Subaru Outback (several times). I'll see if I can tackle it, in the meantime what will provoke it to leak or is it probably just barely failed so it is holding but if I drive it much more then it will completely fail and spew ATF?
I gather it is a matter of seperating the bellhousing and dropping the box raising the car enough to access the input shaft and there would be the seal?

G

Unregistered
or is it probably just barely failed so it is holding but if I drive it much more then it will completely fail and spew ATF?

Yes, then box goes bang. The torque converter seal working loose is a common problem so use some retaining compound or sealant when you fit the new one.

I gather it is a matter of seperating the bellhousing and dropping the box raising the car enough to access the input shaft and there would be the seal?

Yes, you'd be removing the transmission, transfer case and driveshafts. Consider changing the driveshaft seals, propshaft seal, other transfer case seals and engine rear main crank seal at the same time. You might want to crack open the transmission and change the internal filter while you have the box out too... and of course do the wave spring stuff.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Oh lawdy, so she's out of commission then until I get this figured out. Or In the meantime if I drive it around and stay on top of all the fluid levels will it be alright or is that seal going to work its way to a point where it will be dumping more than a drip... I just took it to 110 to see how it felt, got home no pooling but definitely a few drips on the exhaust again.
Guess I will be working out if I pay someone for this or DIY D:
Is there anyone worth considering for the labour in Melbourne/VIC?

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Well, I am reading through Phil's thread and looking over the ATF manuals. I think I will attempt to undertake this one just concerned there may require special tools I won't have D:
I have rebuilt a Toyota 2L-TE engine but this looks like a serious undertaking wow. Is there anyone in Victoria that would be available or contactable in the event I hit a brick wall and need assistance by any chance? Can compensate time with drinks/choice of poison :)
I think I will be fine but gonna put the feelers out anyway just in case!
I am central Victoria, Macedon Ranges.

Kraken82

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Johnny
Drive
2013 chrysler 300 Srt8
1998 mitsubishi legnum vr4
Had mine done few months ago torque converter seal, just take care removing starter motor as mine was that old and dried up from exhaust heat just fell apart, I wouldn't drive it as it will spray all on your exhaust and could possibly catch fire.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Transmission is now out :)
Not really sure how the seal is supposed to look exactly but no obvious signs of failure? How "flush" should it sit to the gearbox, perhaps it had worked loose..
Looks like I will be up for a few $$ in mounts though, front lower and centre top mounts totally buuuusted. Just have to pull the box apart next, has red RTV on all it's joins so I would suggest it has been open before and probably strengthened but I would rather know for sure :)
Over all the worst bit really was the clips for the stupid plugs and navigating/balancing the gearbox haha, but the job has only begun...

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
IMG_20171114_140759.jpg

Planetary gear is out, I presume now these three flathead screw just need to be TIG welds to stop them from being able to unscrew?
Big pile o rings and shit, I just piled everything up in reverse order to keep track of it.
IMG_20171114_140837.jpg

I think I will make a photographic exploded diagram before I put it back together for anyone else's future reference.
And the solid wave spring!?
IMG_20171114_140855.jpg

So I take it now I can get those three screws welded up and then reassemble?

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/strengthening-the-automatic-transmission-on-the-cheap.8035/page-12
So there is a second set of pins to be welded, anyone able to direct me to it? I guess it is behind the bellhousing...

Will the screws just be welded then ground flush to the plate or what is the exact procedure, as I am going to be passing it on to a friend who will do it reluctantly (doesn't like the idea of welding shit inside the gearbox) so I need to alleviate his concerns!

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
The page link you posted above has a 'good' picture of what TIG welded pins should look like. Albeit blurry.

I am unsure which you have found already but there should be an input (bell housing), and output (Transfer case flange) planetary set.

One is behind that plate, and I believe the output one is under that differential looking mofo with the yellow speedo gear.

IMG_20171020_122413.jpg

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
I've done the output gear, hope this I'd how it should look or should I grind it down flush? He charged me $70 so I probably won't do the input gear :/ I think the welds were done pretty overkill I did only needs a little tack but they look nice at least :p

IMG_20171119_115959.jpg
IMG_20171119_120012.jpg

I'll see maybe I will do the input one idk

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Fuck. It's only meant to hold it from falling out, so yeah that's a bit overkill.

Not saying it won't work tho I guess

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Dunno how many times I said its just three tacks haha. Don't reckon I should grind them all flat?

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Can't quite get it all the way home!!! Grrrrrr

IMG_20171119_191413.jpg

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Well, I think it is the alignment on the gear contained in the outermost housing that I can't seem to line up >:l
Any tips/tricks/magic? :O
EDIT:
I was just being too cautious, the housing was able to be tightened down flush. It just wouldn't sit flush without the bolts

G

Unregistered
If you've welded the planetary carrier when replacing the wave spring, then you've done the input shaft one.

The output shaft carrier is here, getting access is another story.

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

Top Bottom