Ok, so just how fragile are the auto transmissions?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I read in this edition of MOTOR than the new jap spec impreza is still available with a 4 speed auto - no mention of tiptronic!

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
On CVR-4 I can think of at least 10 cases straight off the top of my head.

I can't however think of a single auto box that has died if it has been well looked after, and/or fitted with a transmission cooler.

Having been previously unfamiliar with auto transmissions I was surprised to learn that changing the trans oil usually meant simply emptying the sump! Hence the need to ensure it either has a flush or after emptying the sump refill, drive and empty sump again as an inbetween solution.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Aaron, your one has been in aussie for a while now, who have you been using to service it? You could probably help out a lot of NSW people.

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
Aaron, your one has been in aussie for a while now, who have you been using to service it? You could probably help out a lot of NSW people.

I've only done 19,000km (at 97,000km) since it's been here in April 05. Before I left NZ I fitted the transmission oil filter and sump drained, did the front brakes, replaced all belts, had the AYC and rear diff fluids changed and had boost controller fitted. This was partly so I could claim it all on tax as it was still my work car until I left NZ.

Here so far I've only done oil changes and had the transmission oil changed at a Mitsi dealer. AYC will be an up and coming one though so will see how the Mitsi dealer handles that one if there are software issues with the Mutt thingy they apparently use. Apparently though you can do it manually as detailed on vr4.com, so maybee I'll need to supply them a printout of those instructions!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I would suggest taking it to a place that deals with evo's regularly. Their ayc system is the exact same setup.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I'm glad that there's a Ralliart dealership only 1km from my house who deal and support the EVOs here in Melbourne :D

G

Unregistered
There is no difference with the servicing yards if they have a Ralliart Dealership. I checked that out. The Ralliart dealers just sell the Ralliart cars.
I just spoke to the service guys and they looked after me ...

First Name
ivan
Drive
Prado...
Filter is IMPORTANT too!

Hi,

I had a hyundai sonata 2L with a auto box and a similar setup with a trans filter and OEM pipe cooler.

I upgrade this to a special filter from USA that is 10 times finer filtration and a trans cooler. It was great even at the hot and humid climate in SINGAPORE. Before the trial, the auto was slipping and the fluid would be really dark even after 10,000km after a flush. Since the change with the filter and cooler, the fluid stayed bright red as new for 80,000km with no slipping!

Anyone in East suburbs near glen waverley interested to meet up and look at this would be more than welcome. The filter is currently having a makeover and new models available in Feb/Mar 2008. I have several in stocks for review. Good for Engine oil too. Try this oil filter and see your engine gets cleaned up and the oil performs better longer and stays cleaner too!

Read more at http://www.trasko-usa.com/

Cheers, ivan

G

Unregistered
I am new to the VR4s and am considering one as my next car but I am a little skeptical about parts availability and costs; especially the transmission...

What do you guys think about the manual vs the auto? Is the manual stronger? Is one or the other cheaper to repair/replace? etc etc

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The manual is stronger and is obviously simpler. The auto is more complex, and can be unreliable if it hasn't been serviced correctly. If I was over in aussie where parts are going to be a bit hard to find for a while, I would buy a manual.

Over here in NZ where parts are easy to find....well I still own two manuals, but I have had 2 auto Legnums in the past and they are great gearboxes, the tiptronic is just awesome!

G

Unregistered
Over here in NZ where parts are easy to find....well I still own two manuals, but I have had 2 auto Legnums in the past and they are great gearboxes, the tiptronic is just awesome!

awesome as in awesome for an auto... or awesome as in better than a manual?

:p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
awesome for an auto, and still not quite as good as a manual when you're driving aggressively, but much better in traffic!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
After having mine for just a few days - I'll say it's awesome.
I never want to drive a manual again!

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Gee Sydo... thats a big call. I just enjoy the clutch and being the decision maker on which gear I want ot be in.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
For performance and control - definately go a manual.
But I'm getting lazy, and have driven manuals for too long. I'm looking forward to relaxing and letting a little technology take me for ride. :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
awesome for an auto, and still not quite as good as a manual when you're driving aggressively, but much better in traffic!
Much EASIER in traffic - although in heavy traffic in the city, I'd suggest you'd get quite a bit worse fuel economy sitting around in an auto, unless they're doing something VERY clever...

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
For performance and control - definately go a manual.
But I'm getting lazy, and have driven manuals for too long. I'm looking forward to relaxing and letting a little technology take me for ride. :)

I started off looking forward to the speed and handling now all I want is a Auto... My current car has a heavy duty clutch in it and I drive it in the city, I get back problems and all now.

G

Unregistered
only one way to find out i guess - time go for some test drives :D

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I bought the auto because I do heaps of city and heavy traffic driving and was sick to death of clicking between first second and third the whole way home.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the auto quite responsive and even more surprised to find that the tip-tronic was almost as good as a manual box.

I'm sure that the manual is stronger and less prone to malfunctions, but you need to weigh up the options seeing as any parts will be more expensive to obtain whether they are for the running gear or just for little things like timing belts etc.

Top Bottom