Ok, so just how fragile are the auto transmissions?

G

Unregistered
I'd have to agree with Snickster here and say the tiptronic is really responsive and very easy to drive ... Depends on the type of driving u'll be doing but the Auto is very good. but like everyone says, Look after it by doing regular oil flushes from Mitsi

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Hey guys,

I am new to the Legnum game, but not new to the modifying one. I have a oil filter relocation kit and oil cooler for the motor on my drift car, can this same setup be used on the auto box of a tiptronic legnum? ie does the legnum already run a filter setup through the g/box? If not, is adding a filter in a wise move?

The other thing I noticed when I took a leggy for a spin, is the tiptronic backwards? It doesn't feel natural to me pushing up to go to the next gear and pulling back to go back a gear. Maybe it's a thing that I have developed from playing games. I always have the up/down control set to inverted... I could just be wierd though :p

Thanks.

G

Unregistered
I'm with you Joel, the Mitsubishi way to me is backwards.... back should be change up a gear and forward should be change down.

I know on the FTO's and Magnas (and so presumably on VR4's) people pull it apart and rewire the switch so that it's the 'right' way around, you can even switch the + and - tabs on the shifter around so it looks right :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah you literally swap two wires over and you're done.

Any oil cooler will be suitable for the transmission, so you will be able to use your one just fine.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be getting the sparky to attack my shifter. Would make the car alot more pleasurable to drive.

And also good about the motor/trans cooler. :D

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
What sort of shipping price to QLD? I am having my Transmission Fluide done today and am certainly interested in these coolers

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hey guys,

Thought I would revive this thread & see if there are any new developments on the auto-trans front.

Just from reading through the posts, Ive learned that the Autos are pretty durable so long as they are maintained & cooler cores are used. But we all know that these transmissions would not take a 600+ hp boot!!! (on a regular basis anyway)

So it would be great if there is anyone who has looked into beefing up the internals of the W5A51 trans. I would also assume a fair bit would need to be done to the torque converter (blue clutch pads?? something I heard about not sure if they are fictional though).

Thanks.:D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
noone has broken one due to having a lot of power though.

they've been broken by people putting the wrong oil in them, not changing it frequently enough, over heating, running out of oil (typically when the torque converter seal goes).

I wouldn't worry about strengthening one, just look after it as far as oil type and cooling goes.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Ta Brad,

Just out of interest then, in your experience how much HP have you seen or heard of the auto taking?

Reason being is I am aiming pretty high as far as hp is concerned & don't want anything to break. At least 450-500hp.:eek:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
two people in the UK were running about 340-350hp and had a 100hp shot of NOS, he went down the 1/4 a lot of times with it, never had a problem.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Revival No. 2:

I can second what brad has said about the autos being strong...

I spoke to a guy who builds up performance autos for a living, and this guy has done all sorts, from nissans to subis to toyotas and of course aussie cars.

I told him my plan (400kw at the engine) and he said don't worry about pulling the auto apart and strengthening it, just keep it cool and do regular flushes and it should be fine.

He recommended one of these, a thermo oil cooler fan from B&M.

70297.jpg

Also a shift kit, will find out more about this soon.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Thats expensive Madhav, I got the same setup from Ebay for for about $140. There is a guy who sells great quality coolers from Canada, Christian (Naughtica) has put the link somewhere, you can get those for about $70 delivered and then you can buy a 9 - 10in Thermo fan with rely etc for abit less than $70 delivered. The Mount holes on the cooler matched exactly to the Fan I used, so bolted that together then all mounted in front of the Radiator. I also added a switch for mine, didn't want to run off the standard fans. I actually don't think you need the fan anyway, the standard fans pull a lot of air through as it is.

Top Bottom