NZ International Old Car, New Face 97 STR/98 Super VR4

MrMann

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Johno
Drive
1997 Legnum - Non Turbo 6A13 - just hit 200,000KMS! 15,000 since ownership
1998 Super VR4 - Living on jackstands... for now.
Howdy folks, I'm Johno from the deep south. I have two Legnums, being the second and third car I've ever owned. The All-Wheel-Drive drivetrains are superior and safer as opposed to normal rear wheel drive cars. The amounts of grip even in wet weather is insane. The cars, ability to give it a bit of stick (my case the go peddle) and getting a bit of a one wheeler peeler is incredibly satisfying. Cornering is so much better it just sticks!

Needless to say I thoroughly enjoy my 97 STR 6A13. After owning my STR for about a year as a daily. I bought a 98 Super VR4 full stock interior with 24 years of age showing terribly of which I've found both the chassis code on this forum which is super duper! With the additional safety features comes more sensors and more issues and not much room under the bonnet. Buying a 220 thousand KM turbo is a stupid idea don't do it. But I did and it's been a fine money pit whilst my love for my STR has only grown. I've already bought and changed the formerly 90s cloth interior of my STR to leather and I have a woodgrain steering wheel just waiting for my Super VR4 to get sorted. I have big plans for my 98 Super VR4 she needs a whole lotta loving. Though sadly it won't be in my garage, I don't have one and it's cold and miserable a lot of the time.

We've arrived at the date of this post. I've owned my 98 Super for almost a year now (insane) and issues persist after going to multiple workshops. Even the one turbo place doesn't wanna touch it (It's not a diesel) which is understandable in regard to a Diesels ignition system being different. I am a computer nerd (not smart enough to code sadly) then I found Formula 1 then I found Cars, whoops. The joys of having few responsibilities and an innate curiosity I suppose with a hint of the DIY spirit. I understand my abilities are lacking; notice how I haven't called it a project car yet? Well any whom since this site has recently changed hands I feel it is fair to finally do it over here. I've done a similar intro on ClubVR4 about a year ago (I'm afraid to verify the date).

Pretty sure I'm just gonna use this as a space to think out loud link to resources and be ridiculed for my stupidity. Oh, don't worry I'll fill you in. I've spent hours trawling this forum and ClubVR4 and OZVR4 are sad and desolate places when browsing through the years. Seeing old posts lacking images due to linking externally away from the website host. Valuable information lost. But I'll do my best to remedy some of these issues. Photos speak a thousand words. Also being my second Legnum coming from a bog standard to the latest in 98 Mitsi technology I have a unique perspective. For now give me a follow and gaze in horror and despair at my mistakes!

@freakoftheweek posted about my Super VR4 in 2019 it's only gotten worse, not the guy I bought it off I imagine I bought it off the guy after that. Last seen October of 2019
@6A13TT TYPE S Is the offer still open?
@Kaldek if you haven't subscribed to his YouTube channel don't @ me (kidding about the last part)

At some point I'm going to link to a Wiring Diagram book and Original Workshop manual here I don't know if it's allowed. (It should be would generate traffic flow and is a great resource for all EC5W owners!)

I have no affiliation with any thing I link to:

Pretty sure I'm going to buy a bunch of these wind deflectors, factory ones are old and brittle they snap far too easily, sadly they don't include the Mitsubishi star:

I use WiperTech wiper blades They are great but the safety retaining clips didn't actually click in and I wasn't about to use a mallet on a windscreen nor take the wiper linkage apart. So I used a Dremel to cut it off hasn't failed me yet due to the nature of the wiper stalk.

Rain X Water Repellent is a must have for getting water to bead and flow off the windscreen used it for... many months now and it's only now just starting to wipe off thanks to the the wiper blades wearing over time(I presume) . Used it on all glass surfaces after a bad experience at a car wash left me with a weird wax that made rain impossible to see through.

I think I'm rambling at this point.

MrMann

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Johno
Drive
What offer?

I'm hoping I'll only need to go as far as Dunedin for a shop that knows what they are doing. If that falls through I might have to go to Christchurch.

MrMann

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Johno
Drive
So now my Super VR4 has WOF and Rego!
Just got it today also got them to do a smoke leak test and they found a bunch of holes. All patched up now, but my issue persists. Now it has to be a fueling issue. When going on boost it'll hit cuts in the acceleration and a bunch of black smoke will come out. I can post a video as any help would be appreciated. Already had, leads, plugs, fuel pump and MAF replaced. I have another MAF and set of ignition coils waiting to be put in and tested.
I'm thinking I'll get the injectors sent away and tested next.
For now it'll be my daily, it still runs and drives fine under 50Kmph.
What components deal with fueling on boost?
What should I be looking at next?
Thanks folks!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Its Either hitting the boost cut
Or its got a huge vaccum leak causing it to go silly rich as pressure increases

Top Bottom