Opinions on 6a to a 4g

vr4skn

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Blake Parker
Drive
1999 galant vr4 twin turbo
so my 6a motor making funny noises(bottom end sounds f***ed) been told to do a motor conversion from a 6a to a 4g and just wanted to get a few opinions on is it worth it and all that. Cheers guys

smellychodus

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
David
Drive
1997 Legnum vr4 Manual
How deep are your pockets?
How skilled are you?
Do you have the time to put into this build?

It would probably require a fair few rare/custom/one off items to make it work, but hey good luck if you decide to go down the conversion path,
and maybe some other members have done it and can guide you through it.

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Unless you are chasing 500+hp its just not financially worth it. The money you spend on doing the conversion would build a killer 6A.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
This has been discussed before and the general consensus seems to be: it's not worth it and you lose driveability.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
in short:

stock 4g63: no

built 4g64 or 2.3L stroker 63: yes

vr4skn

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Blake Parker
Drive
1999 galant vr4 twin turbo
I'm keen got the coin but will the 4g pay off

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Looks like all the weight is on the drivers side...
Wouldn't do wonders for weight distribution...

hmmm looks like its in the same position as the the 6A to me .........

I'm keen got the coin but will the 4g pay off

Pay off ?

In terms of performance - possibly. You can get lots of guaranteed performance out of them, but for the same money you could probably get the same or similar out of a 6A, especially when you will spend thousnds extra on the 4G getting it in the car and engineered.

In terms of value for money / resale - definitely not.

As has been said - if you want all out performance buy an EVO.

I just can't see the point of this swap sorry.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If you were to do it,you'd at least do a stroker 2.4 4g to get some torque back into it. Easy power once it's there but depends on what your goals are....

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I was thinking about this, as my engine has been pretty fucked since picking the car up from Dawso.

I have decided if I do ever change the engine, I'll go for a 3L 6G72 or 3.5L 6G74 and whack 1 or 2 turbo's on.

The only thing to consider is what everyone else here has pointed out, and that is if you're going to spend $5-10K on an engine conversion + mods + engineering cert, think of what you could do to the 6A13 already sitting in your engine bay with that kind of cash. You would easily go above 250KW atw with $5K spent on it.

The other thing to consider is there are very few VR-4's pushing above 250KW on the road, so no one really knows what will happen to rest of the car in the long run after installing a high powered 4G. I'd guess you'll eventually run into transmission problems if you're in an auto, and you may run into diff problems if your Torque numbers get too high.

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
I'd guess you'll eventually run into transmission problems if you're in an auto, and you may run into diff problems if your Torque numbers get too high.

You'd want to to use pretty much all evo gear, so manual gear box, evo transfer case or vr4 transfer case with evo lsd and either evo rear diff or open rear diff with evo lsd internals lol

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
You'd want to to use pretty much all evo gear, so manual gear box, evo transfer case or vr4 transfer case with evo lsd and either evo rear diff or open rear diff with evo lsd internals lol
So just put it in my car then? :p

I actually like the idea of engine conversions, so long as you go with a better engine that what you had. In my mind the 4g and even the 6g (6g75 apparently has redesigned heads so could be the exception) are a step backwards in terms of engine base. The 6A apparently has VERY good heads from factory. The 4G is a well worn road, so if you want to get a cookie cutter solution, go for it. I will never see it as an upgrade though.

Go forward with something alloy, which will give you weight reduction and increased potential. 4B11T, 4B12T (Dodge Caliber SRT-4, but mitsi engine) or perhaps the 6B31, though I haven't looked to see if anyone is doing stuff for that.
Front end weight reduction is just totally full of win. Add a composite bonnet and alloy subframe and you start looking at serious weight reduction.

Top Bottom