Owner Manual Galant 2002 Auto

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Can I ask someone who has an owners manual to please tell me the exact wording for fuel requirement is as per Mitsi eg - premium unleaded, or 95 RON, etc I have a sticker on my fuel cap, but it's in Japanese. I know most people use 98, but I want to know what Mitsi says in the book.
and is it possible to download or buy an owners manual somewhere - I have searched but cannot find, unless I have not searched well enough here
Thanks

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Manuals? What are those?
Add an MBC and run 98 with 12psi of boost :D

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Ha ha - so I'm guessing they are as rare as second hand manual gearboxes. Is that all that's needed to bump it up a bit? might give the wife a shock as she uses it to work and back.....
regards

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
i have both the english translation manual and the original japanese one and cant find which octane they recommend, it says to use the recommended fuel under "fuel recommendation". which there isnt one haha

if its tuned use 98, if not 95 is probably ok

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Thanks for that, that's unreal, that there is no actual fuel recommended, because clearly an owner should be told the fuel he should be using. My stock Galant seems very happy on 91 unleaded, but my son says I'm damaging my engine. It goes real well, and if there was detonation, surely knock sensor would stop that; but if it was unhappy on 91, then if timing was retarded by knock sensor, surely it would go like a dog, which it doesn't. This is why I'm looking for the actual spec.
Do you have only hard copy, or electronic manual - I'm happy to pay for a copy. Thanks for responding.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Chapter 2 page 4 of my Japanese manual using Google translate.

Advice ● Turbo car Please use unleaded premium gasoline. When unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline can also be used, but engine output will be slightly reduced.

Japanese "Super Plus" premium gasoline is 100 Ron, so our 98 Ron is already lower then their "premium unleaded"

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Chapter 2 page 4 of my Japanese manual using Google translate.

Advice ● Turbo car Please use unleaded premium gasoline. When unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline can also be used, but engine output will be slightly reduced.

Japanese "Super Plus" premium gasoline is 100 Ron, so our 98 Ron is already lower then their "premium unleaded"
Brilliant - that's the info I was looking for - thanks so much for your trouble!

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
98 is the way to go, wouldn't want to risk a bad tank of 95 unless it's an emergency.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
I might try a tank of 98 or 95, just to see if I can see a difference to the 91, which seems to be working fine, but we seldom floor it, even though it's tempting . always a worry with the uniformed guys.....

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I think your asking for trouble running 91 given the 100RON recommended from the factory.

These aren't a Magna after all. ;-)

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Def no pinging, and runs well, which is why I asked the question; as per this answer "i have both the english translation manual and the original japanese one and cant find which octane they recommend, it says to use the recommended fuel under "fuel recommendation". which there isnt one haha
I am yet to find an ACTUAL spec for fuel, only what everyone seems to BELIEVE is correct. I am looking for the actual Rated Octane Number specified by Mitsubishi.
This other translation I received "Advice ● Turbo car Please use unleaded premium gasoline. When unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline can also be used, but engine output will be slightly reduced is the closest mention there is of premium (note, no number specified), but does say unleaded regular can be used, just less power...??

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
The only way the engine can produce less power is by pulling timing as a result of the knock sensors picking up knock (ping)

Your car is pinging even if you can't hear it, it will drive fine until it doesn't. An extra 10 bucks every fill will seem cheap when you are putting another engine in.

Top Bottom