Parasitic battery drain - or not?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Howdy folks,

Being an electrickery guy, I decided to measure the parasitic battery drain on my 2000 model Legnum. I was shocked to get a reading of 300 milliamps. Way too high, I thought.

So then I disconnected the negative battery terminal, but I am still seeing a 300 milliamp current on the main wire to the starter motor - on an open circuit!. With the battery connected and checking the black/white wire that leads to the rest of the car, I only see a 30mA draw, which is what I'd expect.

I'm using a quality clamp-style current meter hooked up to my multimeter which is zeroed before use each time, so it's not my metering gear. So, is this some form of weird induction in the wire due to it being heavy gauge or something?

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
I'm an auto electrician so I check these kinds of things quiet often the easiest way to check it is use a multimeter remove the positive terminal and put one probe on the battery stud abs the other on the removed terminal with it on amps.
You may need to lock the car and leave it a few min till it all settles then you can get a reading just make sure all doors etc are closed
The specs are 5% of reference voltage so it should be 0.6 amp

I hope this helps you out :)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Yeah, inline multimeter is probably a good idea. Hadn't thought of backing up the current clamp with an inline test.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
0.6a would still be a lot I would have thought. Pretty sure I've seen 40mA ish on vr4s

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Sorry 0.06 amp left out the other 0
that's the max drain on a 12v system any more causes a flat battery in less than 2 weeks

when checking a new car you have to let it sit falcons take 30 min before the computers go into a sleep mode and stop draining

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Chasing flat battery demons myself. My dash cam that turns on when it senses shock was drawing 600ma, then dropping to 170ma after settling. Found a really badly corroded fuse running to it.

Inline multimeter sees 0.02-0.03ma instead of 0.190 when the cam is connected.

And that's with a voltage regulator in the grille that constantly displays voltage on an LCD screen. Draw should be even lower than that on a stock vr4 without an after market alarm. Also, check your alarm, as they're often always awake.

Top Bottom