Parking brake bypass

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Has anyone tried installing one of these things in their car? I have a Pioneer head unit, if that helps. There's a number of ways of doing it e.g. with a simple earthing of the parking brake cable, some use a voltage regulator, some people use a switch. What's the best method?

G

Unregistered
is this so you can watch media on your head unit while driving i need to do the same for my pioneer 8550bt

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
is this so you can watch media on your head unit while driving i need to do the same for my pioneer 8550bt

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Earth it and done, you can put a switch inline if you want. No one will ever check it.

I had a switch in my last head unit from the guy who installed it, but never needed it. Ok, earthing is easy, even for me.

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
It's very rare that it would be checked , but let me tell you a story of a customer that came to work . He had a DVD system fitted to his car by a so so store ( no names ) and the fitter wired straight to earth. He did not ask for this to be done and was not told it was done this way. He did have an accident and when the car was inspected by the insurance company they found that the system was wired incorrectly and they voided his insuranance as the car is deemed unroad worthy. After a few months he got his first bill for the damage that was caused. $50000!!!. This is a true story that i heard first hand from a very distrort customer. I see cars all the time that are wired wrong.

All you need is a relay. Wire 30 to the radio. 87a to the handbrake. 87 to ground. 86 to acc power and 85 to a switch ( ground switch). If you want yo be fancy you could use the cig lighter as a switch. Remove the plug at the rear of the cig socket and wire 1 terminal to ground and the other terminal to the switch. If you ever crashed remove the cig lighter and the system will just work normally with the handbrake. Hope this helps.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
It's very rare that it would be checked , but let me tell you a story of a customer that came to work . He had a DVD system fitted to his car by a so so store ( no names ) and the fitter wired straight to earth. He did not ask for this to be done and was not told it was done this way. He did have an accident and when the car was inspected by the insurance company they found that the system was wired incorrectly and they voided his insuranance as the car is deemed unroad worthy. After a few months he got his first bill for the damage that was caused. $50000!!!. This is a true story that i heard first hand from a very distrort customer. I see cars all the time that are wired wrong.

All you need is a relay. Wire 30 to the radio. 87a to the handbrake. 87 to ground. 86 to acc power and 85 to a switch ( ground switch). If you want yo be fancy you could use the cig lighter as a switch. Remove the plug at the rear of the cig socket and wire 1 terminal to ground and the other terminal to the switch. If you ever crashed remove the cig lighter and the system will just work normally with the handbrake. Hope this helps.

Ummmmm, ok. I'll look into it. Btw, I was meaning to ask you how you managed to get the mirror switch and foglight switch out as I'm hoping to replace the lights inside them with red LEDs or something?

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
I removed the lower dash panel and pushed the switches from the back. They just popped out.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Was thinking of making something like this...

Attachments

• Bypass.jpg
    Bypass.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 23

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I just had a vehicle pass roadworthy with a bypass fitted. I mean, I fitted it just because I hate being *forced* to do something and then I never made use of it (probably because I watch the road, duh, and never took the kids holidaying in that car).

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
I just had a vehicle pass roadworthy with a bypass fitted. I mean, I fitted it just because I hate being *forced* to do something and then I never made use of it (probably because I watch the road, duh, and never took the kids holidaying in that car).

Oh, does your bypass look like the one in the picture above?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Oh, does your bypass look like the one in the picture above?
Nah I did the whole trick by fitting a relay. Pretty sure this is the exact video I followed:

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
What's the point of the relay ? Especially if the relay pulls in off the amp remote wire
It only grounds the park brake wire when the car is turned on and after the radio is powered up. If the park brake wire is grounded at the time the radio is powered up it treats that as a bypass attempt.

Relays can be used to switch a high amp power source from a low amp trigger, but they can also be used to just complete a circuit, which is what they're doing in this case.

Watch the video starting from 3:10 and you'll see what they mean.

Some systems are even smarter and need a longer delay between the power being applied and the park brake wire being grounded. In those situations you need a little circuit to do the job for you. Depends on the radio.

Quintenperren

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Quinten Perren
Drive
Legnum
Ah I'm a fridgey so I use relays all the time, just had no idea that some headunits were that smart :)

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
That video is very good. I'll give the relay a go -- it looks a lot easier than I thought it would be.

G

Unregistered
just an update i did the relay to my setup and its working perfectly.

Top Bottom