dredayTT

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dre
Drive
Legnum VR4 1999
Hi everybody!!

I'm sure many users are aware that the power steering pumps on a facelift are quite different from a pre-facelift. I tried searching initially for information regarding this but wasn't able to find anything really helpful so I've decided to post this info up :)

My power steering pump (facelift) has been whining for the last 6 months and has proven to be very annoying!! I ended up purchasing a new (second hand) pump from the wreckers but unfortunately to my surprise they were completely different. I called up the wrecker and confirmed it was from a pre-facelift model :thumbdown: That's when I jumped on this forum and started searching for info but nothing..... (maybe I wasn't searching hard enough :LOL:).

Anyway, lucky for me, I asked for the pump to be sent with the bracket and reservoir pipe attached but I still required the high pressure line if I was ever gonna retrofit this bloody pump. Thankfully just yesterday I picked up a high pressure pipe from a Galant wreck at Imlach wreckers. Fitted it today and its all working perfectly...no more annoying whine.

So just to clear things up....the pumps ARE INTERCHANGEABLE. All you need is the PFL bracket, reservoir hose and high pressure line. The sensor location is a little different but the wire has enough length to be re routed.

Personally I would rather replace my old pump with either a new or later facelift unit but I already payed good money for it and thought "why not".

If you guys need any more info feel free to contact me.

*I've attached some pics of the parts needed

DSC04759.JPG
DSC04760.JPG
DSC04761.JPG
DSC04762.JPG
DSC04763.JPG
DSC04764.JPG

brackenridgevr4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
luke
Drive
pfl vr4 legnum evo8
Hey guys the ones on an FTO also fit
you just have to change one of the fittings got mine done at a hydraulic joint in gee bung

ayreds

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
legnum vr4
is the one that says kataba the pfl or fl?

ayreds

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
legnum vr4
In the first picture one clearly says kataba. and the other is something like RTR or BTB, hard to make out but they are distinguishable from one another. And im interested to know if the pump stamped "kataba" is the pfl or fl. because if the early early model FL's still used the PFL pump I want to visually compare them so I know whats in my FL.

G

Unregistered
Both are made by Kayaba. PFL has the full word Kayaba written out and a black rear cover, FL has the abbreviated KYB logo and silver rear cover.

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
Just found this out today. The pumps themselves are swappable, as I'm using a FL bracket and pump.

G

Unregistered
The first post suggests you also need to swap the matching line and hose over as well, did you not need to do that?

So just to clear things up....the pumps ARE INTERCHANGEABLE. All you need is the PFL bracket, reservoir hose and high pressure line. The sensor location is a little different but the wire has enough length to be re routed.

Top Bottom