Pics: Found metal bits and pieces attached to the magnetic sump plug upon ATF fluid change

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Time for a rebuild yeah?
Will the car be able to be driven for now or should i just get it rebuilt now?

Transmission seems fine at the moment.

And upon search, i saw how Gilly found pieces of his wavespring during his fluid flush but the car remained driveable for some time. Maybe even up until now?

Cheers guys :)

PS: This is from my GT-A. But as you know, we do share the same transmission.

IMG_1382.jpg

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I would certainly be getting it inspected. You may be able to just get away with having the wave spring replaced

minxy74

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
HJ Galant , CM5A GSR (project)
im a tranny specalist by trade i would be getting it looked at the wave spring can be changed in car and mitsubishi have made a new spring for that transmission if u leave it bit of the spring find their way into the pump and they break it rendering the car undriveable.

G

Unregistered
Same thing happened in my previous legnum. It needed a full rebuild.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would get it pulled apart and checked to make sure the other parts aren't somewhere else where they shouldn't be. Then once you've done that, get a new stronger wave spring put in.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Cool :)

I'm going to phone around tomorrow to see who can rebuild it for me and get it towed there.
For my Legnum, I remember Mark at Hills Motorsport quoted me $2500 for strengthened rebuild including fluids and R&R back in 2008.

I guess the only problem is getting someone to actually work on it and get it finished without just doing bits here and there (whenever they're feeling bored), neglecting it and taking their sweet time.

I appreciate the input and guidance boys.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd also be a bit afraid that they will hear EVO and ramp up the price. Tell them it is a 4wd magna :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
You're not going to try MEEK Dimi?

I'd like to know what parts are 'strengthened' with the auto rebuild. I got a whole transmission transplant for $2500 for Grandpa & that was October 2007.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yeah i'm going to ring Chris tomorrow but i know they're busy as and i can't have the car off the road for too long because it's my daily.
Who did the transplant for you?

G

Unregistered
Don't drive it any more and get it looked at ASAP, you may be lucky and the filter has stopped anything getting sucked through the system. If you are feeling game, then check out this thread as you can do the job in the car for about $150 in parts.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks mate.

Wish i had the time to do that on my own though. Too bad i'll have to settle with getting a workshop to sort it out for me. Would love the experience in doing the whole thing myself :)

You sound like you've had some past experience with our gearboxes breaking before? What's happened to yours mate?

G

Unregistered
I caught mine right at the stage you are at now, one service all was fine. Next time I changed the ATF there were a couple of bits of wave spring stuck to the sump plug. After I replaced the wave spring the shifts have been awesome, it's really snappy on the up shifts now. If you can get one of those strong magnetic pick up tools have a poke around with that and see if you can find any more bits in the bottom of the sump area. They shouldn't really get through the filter, but some filters weren't sealed up properly. The other problem is that from the sump they can work their way over to the diff area and if they jam in the gears there you will certainly know it.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Dimi search for the thread in the SA section on the MV Automatics group buy re: welding carrier pins also. IF you dont need any other parts (which sounds like you shouldnt) aim for around the $1400 mark for the trans out and a strip down to inspect. However, if bits of wavespring are elsewhere and you need aditional parts, the cost will go up ;)

G

Unregistered
Did it myself. If you have the parts on hand you can do it in a weekend easily, just let me know when you start the job so I can check in to see if you have any questions/problems. If you have a clean, sheltered working environment and a clean bench to lay out the parts you wont have much to worry about. Part prices are in the first post of the thread below. I never wrote a proper guide as such, because the transmission workshop manual has step by step instructions that are pretty good anyway. I have hundreds on photos and notes in case you get stuck not knowing how something went back together, but still best to lay out everything in order and label it as you go. A few people here and on CVR4 have now done this procedure successfully.

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?8035-Strengthening-the-automatic-transmission-on-the-cheap

Top Bottom