Possible problem with bearing hubs/diff?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Hey all,

I've recently had what feels like a bit of resistance from the back wheels when pulling off from a stop.

The parking brake needed adjustment, so I thought I'd take a closer look while I've got the back end up on jack stands with the wheels off.

The rotors and calipers are off both rear wheels, and it's almost impossible to turn the wheel bearing hubs by hand - is this normal?

I fitted new rotors all round a week or so ago, and noticed the front bearing hubs were able to be turned quite easily by hand - should the rears be the same?

Cheers,
Paul.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Park brake has been adjusted too tight. Dragging on the drums. Back it off till it's reasonably free spinning. Remember there will be some drag from the diff.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks Daniel, but I'm not sure that it is related to the parking brake.
The parking brake needed adjustment because it was slipping and this problem surfaced before any adjustments were made.
After closer inspection, it seems that one of the brake shoes is seized or something - the shoe is retracted and not contacting the drum, and turning the adjustment nut at that wheel does not expand it.
I've already got some new brake shoes on order, so hopefully fitting those will solve the handbrake slipping.

The main problem though is that the rear bearing hubs are unable to be turned by hand.
If the rotors/drums are removed, the park brake shouldn't affect the ability to turn the bearing hub freely should it?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
What diff do u have. I know even with my ayc the rears did have a lot of drag on them. Maybe try and lift the front wheels in the air. Being 4wd u will be trying to turn the front wheels through
The transfer case.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
I've got an AYC diff.
Just jacked up the front end as well, and am now able to turn the rear bearing hubs by hand. It's a bit stiffer than the fronts but I guess that's to be expected because, like you say, you have the added weight of the front wheels, tailshaft etc.
I'll have to wait now until I've fitted the new brake shoes and adjusted them properly to see if it was the park brake being too tight causing the resistance.
Thanks heaps for your help Daniel. (y)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Glad to help champ.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Finally got around to fitting my new brake shoes and you were right about it being the park brake causing the resistance, although it wasn't from being adjusted too tight.
Turns out one of my park brake cables had seized, so it was constantly on on one side. Got it off and soaked it in WD40 to free it up, and it's solved it for the time being.
Also discovered that the cable on the other side is snapped, so I'll just replace both at the same time with a new set from Amayama.

RicKii``

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ricky
Drive
99 Legnum
Finally got around to fitting my new brake shoes and you were right about it being the park brake causing the resistance, although it wasn't from being adjusted too tight.
Turns out one of my park brake cables had seized, so it was constantly on on one side. Got it off and soaked it in WD40 to free it up, and it's solved it for the time being.
Also discovered that the cable on the other side is snapped, so I'll just replace both at the same time with a new set from Amayama.

hey mate, ive just noticed my left hand side hand brake cable is seized too, looks as if previous owner has spilt soft drink and it has gotten inside. how long did you soak it in WD40 for?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
hey mate, ive just noticed my left hand side hand brake cable is seized too, looks as if previous owner has spilt soft drink and it has gotten inside. how long did you soak it in WD40 for?

Hey Ricky,

I found it too hard to do while the cable was still on the car, so I removed it and hung it from my clothesline, spraying WD40 into the top and letting it drain through before turning it up the other way and repeating the process.
I did this several times over about an hour and, combined with a bit of pulling of the actual cable back and forth inside the outer sleeve, it eventually freed it up.
It seemed to work well enough, but I have since replaced both cables with a new set just to be sure.
Best of luck!

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
How much did the new cables set u back?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
The new cables were about $85 each and roughly $20 shipping through Amayama.

RicKii``

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ricky
Drive
99 Legnum
Was the one from the wreckers from another legnum or a magna? just want to know if they are similar parts

and lol @ cheeseburger

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Another legnum, pretty sure wheelbase is longer on magnas (?) wouldn't expect the cable to be the same.

Top Bottom