Possible Relocation

G

Unregistered
Hey guys!

I've been offered a job in Melbourne via a company I deal with on a daily basis, and am somewhat considering it due to what's been put on the table, plus it's friggin cheaper there than here in Sydney!

If I was to accept it, any suggestions on which suburbs/areas to look for housing? The job is located in Port Melbourne, and I don't mind travelling 45-60mins in peak hour each way as that's generally what i'm used to so it doesn't necessarily have to be right next door to work. The only criteria really would be a non feral area lol.

Cheers!

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
i reckon starting from further out to closer in

tarneit is relatively new and has good facilities
werribee
hoppers crossing
laverton
altona
sunshine

if you're gonna rent then you can probably move closer if its just you and no kids/wife or something (not sure on your circumstances, maybe elaborate more) to like footscray or williamstown

are you driving to work or train? i think those areas ferralness is street by street really. look for a place that isnt full of heaps of fkn cars in the evening and you'll be alright. its shit living next to someone that has like 10 cars and all these kids between 18-22

you gotta look up how the public transport works, if its just 1 train and a walk. youre golden. if its two trains or a train and a tram expect it to be waaaaaaay longer than any estimate someone would give you for travel because you have to taken into account late trains, full trains/trams and when it just doesnt work at all

docklands is pretty cheap because nobody lives there lol, personally i'd try to look there first and get a push bike you'd save a fortune and heaps of time. time is money :D

G

Unregistered
Thanks Damian. Yeah just me, no missus or kids.

In terms of commuting, I guess it depends on access to those facilities. For example I don't drive to work at the moment as there's no parking nearby and if there is it's $25 per day. So I catch public transport (one bus) which is far more convenient as there is a bus stop literally at my front door, and drops me off 2 buildings away from work - and is the same for the commute home.

Renting to begin with, and depending on how the job goes and how I take to Melbourne (lol) i'll buy something within 12 months.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
you should rent near where you might buy, renting close then moving out really sucks.

maybe someone at the new office can help you out with if there is any kind of parking. some people know of some decent spots that are free. depends on the hours you work. if you start at 7 or eariler driving is sweet. if you start at 8.. it gets a bit iffy where you really need to leave at a particular time to get to work 15 minutes earlier to avoid being 15 minutes late if you know what i mean. if you start at 9 don't bother driving

if you catch the train you can get off at southern cross station and tram it to port melb, some places are walking distance. the whole area is pretty quiet overall compared to the rest of the city. parking is definitely better around that area. i think there is an exit you can get off at south wharf but parking there is insane these days.

dont live anywhere that is a vline train, people say yeah its not that far and you usually get a seat. but if you miss your train you're completely fucked. and it will happen a lot. we had guys at work in north melb that kept getting fucked by the trains and had to start driving in to work because 3 hours of their life a day was taken up by waiting for and catching trains and trams

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
i reckon starting from further out to closer in

tarneit is relatively new and has good facilities
werribee
hoppers crossing
laverton
altona
sunshine

yeah....

nah.

none of those honestly.

if you're super serious, youll need to hit us with a budget per week etc. You might find something nice inner city for a decent price if its just you and the car.

G

Unregistered
Currently paying $500pw rent here in Sydney and $37pw commuting costs, and with a quick bit of searching it seems that is more than enough to live somewhere rather suitable in Melb, there's a decent 3bd house in newport for $440pw, however in saying that, i'd prefer to find something less than what i'm paying at the moment so the ideal rental budget would be $400-450pw (closer to $400 preferred).

Top Bottom