Power loss/No Boost/Slow accelaration reponse

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hi All,

Today, I have installed my FMIC, (thank Ivan). After long hours and cuts and bruises, I have finally installed.

But I have one major problem, my car went from fast to super slow. I have no power on accelaration. Everytime I step on the gas, no power at all, no boost, take ages to respond.

I checked all my joining points, I ensured all of it does not have any vacuum leaks every point and they are all tight. I've checked my vacuum hose from BOV and again, all tight.

What seems to be the problem? I have already reset my ECU twice and still the same problem.

One thing I have noticed though, when I rev the car on the TB, the intake flex pipes collapses so hard, almost half of the pipe sucked in. I was thinking if this was the problem BUT I doubt that this is the problem causing the very slow accelaration response.

Please help!!!

G

Unregistered
your intake pipe collapsing is restricting the air flow, and killing power.

i'd be putting the stock pipes back on.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Why it is collapsing so much though? What causes the flex pipe to collapse that hard?Shouldn't be a free flowing air coz all I did was upgrade the IC?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Is it the stock flexi or one with the kit? Once the car starts to make boost it should expand. Perhaps the intercooler is blocked or something?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Is it the stock flexi or one with the kit? Once the car starts to make boost it should expand. Perhaps the intercooler is blocked or something?
Yes, it is stock flexi pipe that goes to the intake manifold that is collapsing. Yeah, that is what I thought too that once the boost kicks in, it shouldn't be collapsing.

I will double check it again if there is something blocking the pipes or the intercooler.

Man, another sickie just to get this fix.

G

Unregistered
the engine has to run at vacuum before it can create boost, which can cause the intake piping to collapse.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Did you block off any of the open pipework with rags to prevent crap getting in while working on the car?????

Sounds like you've left one in there somewhere, which is why the engine is having trouble and sucking the intake pipe closed as it's now the weakest point!!!

G

Unregistered
which exact pipe is it that is sucking closed?

the skylines used to have a similar issue with high boost on the stock rubber intake pipe that lead to the turbo inlet (as this is always under suction). however you're probably talking about pipework from the turbo outlet aren't you? in that case, i'd be more inclined to look into simon's answer...

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Alright people, done removing the pipes and found the culprit! I forgot to remove one of the crumbled paper on one of the pipes end just after the Y pipe. I thought I removed everything and how silly of me of not double checking the pipes:wanker:.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you with your help on pointing me directly to the problem. All clear and running perfect. After doing test runs, throttle response is now better (not much though). And the best thing is, I could hear the turbo spooling (just) ahehehe.

Thanks!

G

Unregistered
Hay man good to see that it is ok. You will have to post up some pic's so we can all see how it looks.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
See. God punished you because you didn't come to the cruise. He made you get really scared haha

Hahahaha..... Winner bro!

Good to hear its fixed Gorgs, and i'll meet you at the Tamworth meet on Australia day! And we can all get really drunk :)

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
AHAHA VR4 Gods are punishing me! But aren't supposed they've be happy coz I upgraded for better cooling? ahehehe

I am preparing for that travel and hopefully it will it fall into places.

Top Bottom