Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Hey guys
Thought I'd tickle the collective brain that is ozvr-4 to ask something....

I've noticed since my last full driveline service (which included a drain and refill of the auto box, rear diff and transfer... plus a fluid flush and bleed of the AYC, that my (maybe) rear diff is making an unusual noise...
I have noticed that my propshaft has, what I would think is a little more than usual backlash but I don't feel that's the issue.
The noise is coming from the back of the car...I've bounced it so it's unlikely a suspension issue... bushes are ok. super-lubed with aircraft grade silicone oil...

When taking off gently once I hit say 5kph and again once I slow down again around 5kph.... and in gear (even using tippy to slow down...(that's why I don't think it's a backlash issue, slack would be well and truly taken up)

I hear a a bit of a dampened "thunk" ... happens every time.. every takeoff and stop....either in tippy.. or full auto...Almost like the ABS whirring into life when you first take off in a car after you start it and drive off but more... "metallic" sounding.
I've checked the oils, checked bushes and linkages etc...all good..

I'm thinking the AYC pump is activating unnecessarily maybe... nothing else has been touched recently.. I know if the steering rack to steering wheel is installed wrong the steering sensor can fool the AYC into thinking you're cornering when your not.. but it's got me curious to WTF this noise is...
yeah I made the mistake of turning the music down one time driving in traffic lol
it's not a crunchy, squealing, squawking or booming sound, but it's just loud enough to notice when driving...
Anyone hear this noise before??
Cheers
Steve

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Might sound stupid, but nothing rolling around in the undertray in the boot? I've fallen for that before.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Might sound stupid, but nothing rolling around in the undertray in the boot? I've fallen for that before.

That's what I originally thought too lol (I've fallen for that one a few times aswell)
Had a look and everything is secure.... I'll book it in at mitso for a full AYC service again... It gave it's first squawk today around a corner... :(

Top Bottom