Pyreness Black - fragile paint?

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Hi all,

Is the black paint Mitsi used for our cars unusually 'fragile'? It seems to scratch VERY easily (In-law's dogs put large claw marks in drivers door and rear bumper that won't polish out) and after washing my car yesterday, i've found a few five-cent-piece-sized patches of what seems to be bare metal on the roof and one smaller one on the bonnet. I've also found a few bare spots on the rear wing on the leading edge.

Am i the only one having bad luck with their paint job or is this a common theme among black VR4s?

Edit: It's a cold spec one if that makes any difference...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Not the same colour, I know, but the dark metallic green on my Dad's Magna is similar in that it seems to be extremely fragile. Especially sensitive to acidic deposits (sap, bird poo etc), which have resulted in bare metal patches like you describe. Seems to be quite poor quality paint, and very thin.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Ive got a black one and i have some clear coat peeling on the roof. Im trying to decide if i should get it painted back the colour it is or just get the car resprayed a different colour.

G

Unregistered
Our clear coats have about the same hardness (or softness!) as a CD. So it's a good tip if you ever want to try a new polish or cloth to test on a CD first to see if it scuffs it. Dark colours are always going to show up scuffs more. I know that I I even touch my car with my clothes it gets a mark in the clear coat. However, the factory clear seems quite thick and will stand a bit of correction.

But the bare metal spots on your car are a but worrying. Perhaps it's had a respray at some time? Panel shop sprays never seem to last very long, especially if the car is always parked outside in the weather.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Our clear coats have about the same hardness (or softness!) as a CD. So it's a good tip if you ever want to try a new polish or cloth to test on a CD first to see if it scuffs it. Dark colours are always going to show up scuffs more. I know that I I even touch my car with my clothes it gets a mark in the clear coat. However, the factory clear seems quite thick and will stand a bit of correction.

But the bare metal spots on your car are a but worrying. Perhaps it's had a respray at some time? Panel shop sprays never seem to last very long, especially if the car is always parked outside in the weather.

I wouldn't be surprised if the roof HAD been resprayed, the thickness of the paint around the bare spots is minimal. But i guess i'll never know, prev owner is a few thousand KMs away.

I keep it garaged unless i'm driving it, but once again, can't vouch for previous owner, he's in Japan.

Needless to say i was utterly heartbroken when i found these patches.

I'll get a temp. touch up while my front bar's getting resprayed, and if the paint continues to f*ck out on the roof, i'll just get the whole panel sanded back and re-done.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
From my experience, the factory paint isn't brittle at all. Usually brittle paint is caused by poor prep, as the primer hasn't bonded to the metal surface properly resulting in chipping. If the car was prepared properly (which it should have been, at least to the same standard as all the other VR4's, if it's factory paint) then minor chips and scratches should only result in that specific area being affected, you shouldn't get tearing or chipping of surrounding paint (and I mean within 1mm of the impact).

X08 is just standard two-pack paint, it's no more brittle or less hard wearing than any other paint. It really just comes down to the prep, and if that's been done properly, the quality and number of clear coats on top. I know guys who have twenty coats of clear on their show cars, you can go pretty extreme if you want to spend the dollars protecting your paint (and making it look amazing, if you like the candy-shine show car look). You can also add metallic flakes in various layers of clear, giving the paint more depth and gloss.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
These bare patches aren't stone chips, it would appear the paint I just flaking off! Upon closer inspection, the primer is still underneath, it's not down to bare metal.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yep, i have black and it is shithouse. Scratches so easily. I think you need to invest in paint protection. Final Inspection did an awesome job on Vince's car.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Scottie, do you have any idea what i should look at paying for it all?

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Cheers dude, soon as i get my front bar redone, i'll pay these guys a visit.

Vince has a black PFL galant, doesnt he? I remember someone talking about these guys at the last meet in doncaster.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yeh that is his car. Was at the templestowe meet a few months back. Came up really nice..

Top Bottom