[QLD] L Plate Logbook Hours - Manual vs Auto

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Does anyone know if you go for a manual license, do all of your logbook hours have to be in a manual car?

A friend of my little brother is on his L plates at the moment (He is the same age as my brother who is on his green Ps already) I am trying to settle an arguement.

His friend is adamant that you have to do all your hours in a manual car, even going so far as to believe that they will check the rego of the car in the book and look up what gearbox it has.
He has been dropped off at our place by his parents before, which led to this exchange between him and my brother:
"Why didn't you drive over to get your hours up?"
"Because Dad's car is an Auto"

My brother and I are adamant that as long as you can pass the test in the chosen car type, you can do your hours in any car. However, I got my license before logbooks, and my brother got an auto license, so he won't take our word for it.

Can someone who has done it please help us settle this and hurry this guy up getting his bloody license, he's a grown-ass-man!

EDIT: Oops, meant to post this rant on the MightyCarMods forum, had both open in browser tabs... Will leave it here anyway but there is likely a lot more P-Platers on MCM than here (I would hope...)

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Haha my wife had just got her 100hours up half manual, half auto driving. Doesn't matter what you have learned in as long as you can pass the driving test in the particular trans of your choice. Btw my car is the only manual she has driven and is still rego as an auto but she is still able to do a manual drive license.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Would confuse the hell outa the rego pukes if you did it in Tiptronic mode

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
Theres no way for them to tell if it wasn't manual. The man hours searching the Trans would not be worth it.

Plus if you pass in a manual, nobody would care if you did the hours in an auto since you've proved you can drive a manual.

simmo

Crunching Gears
First Name
simon
Drive
Galant, VW Golf (Daily)
Mrs works at QLD transport, they only go by what type of transmission the test was done with...

Top Bottom