question for those of you with an uprated clutch

G

Unregistered
well as a few of you have fitted the exedy 7223hd/hdb/hdbc

has anyone actually given theres grief yet??
a few high rpm launches??

just keen to hear feedback from those how have been turely hard on them
ie 3500rpm + launch etc

how did it handle it?? hows the clutch been since?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I've got the HD but I haven't abused it yet - given how much it cost me to get the damn thing installed, I think I'll just take it easy...!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'm trying my HDCB at the 1/4 on the 12th of July, I'll let you know.

I did a 4k launch (road was wet) and it spun the wheels briefly then took off like a rocket :)

cheers

Lee

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
anyone want to put up a launching guide cause i dont think im doing it right :) i given mine some playing. The clutch feels great. mines a modified/uprated HD..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
anyone want to put up a launching guide cause i dont think im doing it right :) i given mine some playing. The clutch feels great. mines a modified/uprated HD..

lol..

well.. I've never tried too..

snuff vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adrian
Drive
2JZ Cressida
2JZ Prado
Miss VR4's
Exeedy make fantastic clutches! In my old 6a12tt vr4 i fitted an exeedy HD Organic clutch, full face not button or anything. drove nice and smooth and lit up 4 wheels every time. would have done over 50 heavy launches, some from the rev limit 7500rpm! after a year or so when the box was out for repairs i checked the clutch, still looked almost brand new. awesome!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'm going to the drags tomorrow so I will report back after that.

Also, Rob(TTVR4) put me onto a clutch mod that makes it better for launching which involves bypassing the clutch damper. I've had it done but haven't had a chance to launch it properly yet. If it does make an improvement I'll write up a thread on it.

cheers

Lee

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Looking forward to that mod ;)

In the coming few weeks I'll be able to contribute my experiences with the HDB clutch. I'm just a couple of bucks away from my savings goal :D

G

Unregistered
Exeedy make fantastic clutches! In my old 6a12tt vr4 i fitted an exeedy HD Organic clutch, full face not button or anything. drove nice and smooth and lit up 4 wheels every time. would have done over 50 heavy launches, some from the rev limit 7500rpm! after a year or so when the box was out for repairs i checked the clutch, still looked almost brand new. awesome!
Thats very interesting. My friends 6a12TT has a heavy duty clutch in it. He bought it like that. Other mods included boost controller, pod and 5" exhaust tip! Pulling up to lights and limiter against STI, EVO etc. It didnt beat them all but gave them a good run for there money!

Unfortunatly this car was thrashed every night after school. We would go and stick gas in and just go driving down at the local river, gravel, parks :p, etc and give that car absolute shit. Come the weekend it would be into town limiter launching.

Basically due to the H/D Clutch it vibrated itself to death. After 6months the gear box would go into 2nd and 3rd as it pleased and we had to get out and push if we wanted reverse. The diff broke within 3 months of getting it. Now this car had been given a very very hard time before my mate got it. lol Never again. All I will say is dont limiter everywere! Time and place for everything.

As for the clutch, after 7 months of ownership if you limited and dropped the clutch you could feel it slip!!!! Yes, a 700hp H/D Clutch started to slip!

anyone want to put up a launching guide cause i dont think im doing it right
Basically, the easiest way is:

Stop (make sure wheels are straight! :D)
1st Gear
Bring revs up to the limit
Drop clutch, just pull your foot straight off, the clutch will take the abuse dont worry, but MAKE SURE your foot is flat on the floor will the go pedal.
Hook 2nd
Hold on for your life!

Just note that a 6a12TT will only do about 60km/h in 1st gear. Not sure what the 6a13TT does. So it all goes by fairly quickly.

It feels un natural to do it. But the wheels usually spin and then all of a sudden they grip and your away! Its a whole lot of fun.

Cheers.

snuff vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adrian
Drive
2JZ Cressida
2JZ Prado
Miss VR4's
Hey NZ6a12tt what part of nz are you from? your mates car could well have been one of my old cars, i owned two 6a12tt vr4's one white and one black. the limiter launches were done using a locked/welded centre diff, and a solid mounted rear diff. before that i broke 3 centre diffs and 2 rear diff cases.. not cool! :ROFLMAO:

as for launching, you have to release the clutch as the revs are climbing, this makes sure the engine is at maximum possible load and will light the wheels.

put it in first gear with your foot on the clutch
floor the accelerator pedal and keep it floored
wait until the revs have climbed to the desired rpm, mabe 5500-6000 or so
drop the clutch as fast as you can
at this point you will either have a huge grin and smell the sweet smell of burning rubber..
or.. there is the other smells/noises that are associated with an expensive repair bill haha

good luck!!

G

Unregistered
Hey NZ6a12tt what part of nz are you from? your mates car could well have been one of my old cars, i owned two 6a12tt vr4's one white and one black. the limiter launches were done using a locked/welded centre diff, and a solid mounted rear diff. before that i broke 3 centre diffs and 2 rear diff cases.. not cool! :ROFLMAO:

Christchurch mate. The car was the standard grey and owned by and arab(?) sounding man before him. Yeah the car stood up remarkably well all things considered!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_JfgkYLKPe0

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
So my clutch (HDCB) went ok at the drags but I had a lot of shuddering when letting the clutch out at high rpm so I ended up have to sort of ride it to get smooth changes.

It would sort of shudder twice then bite and accelerate - does that sound like a badly machined flywheel? You can see it in the datalogging I did, the rpms go up and down a few times when I let the clutch out instead of climbing smoothly (I'll post some graphs in the data logger thread)

Top Bottom