Radiator finally taking its toll yesterday.

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Ladies and Gents, Friday as you were all aware, Adelaide temperature soaring up to 44 degrees and the radiator finally taking its toll.
A hair line crack has appeared top tank radiator just below the cap. And all liquid was pouring out with steam.
Then stranded in the middle of the road in the heat with no AC OR shades up at Wynn Vale, two good Samaritans stop and gave me some water. =) and asked if i needed some help.
Got to love Adelaide. Finally 1.5 hours laters my Angel tow truck arrived. =)

After searching around the forum, a few members has recommended a alloy radiator, ie. Michael auto parts.
http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/p/294/96-01-Mitsubishi-Galant-VR-4-6A13T-AT-375x718x40mm.html

But because of the time frame the URL of the people selling it doesn't exist anymore, and a few more other links still doesn't exist.

Or unless I have missed something...??

Wondering anyone can share some light?

or a 2nds radiator?

Regards
JJ

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Ladies and Gents, Friday as you were all aware, Adelaide temperature soaring up to 44 degrees and the radiator finally taking its toll.
A hair line crack has appeared top tank radiator just below the cap. And all liquid was pouring out with steam.
Then stranded in the middle of the road in the heat with no AC OR shades up at Wynn Vale, two good Samaritans stop and gave me some water. =) and asked if i needed some help.
Got to love Adelaide. Finally 1.5 hours laters my Angel tow truck arrived. =)

After searching around the forum, a few members has recommended a alloy radiator, ie. Michael auto parts.
http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/p/294/96-01-Mitsubishi-Galant-VR-4-6A13T-AT-375x718x40mm.html

But because of the time frame the URL of the people selling it doesn't exist anymore, and a few more other links still doesn't exist.

Or unless I have missed something...??

Wondering anyone can share some light?

or a 2nds radiator?

Regards
JJ

I'm fairly sure Jonson can supply Koyo radiators. I few guys on here have them on, I know Simon does.

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
You did? Oh, Nhans mate?

Hahaha yeah :) thanks Jon :) couple years back I got some
Seals from you as well if you can remember , drove to your place :) and you were showing me
Your Evo :)

Nhan would be helping me refitting the radiator :)

At the same token I need the thermostat as well

Adelaide is so small man lol :)

MLVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Thai
Drive
EVO 7 RS with EVO 9 FACE LIFT
Same thing happened to me a on sunday! A hairline crack in the exact same spot. I ended up using JB Weld on it and it lasted a few days, then yesterday coming home from work got home and smelt coolant straight away when I got out of the car. I think it was more the fact that I used the A/C on full blast so the Rad had to work harder? It was fine when the A/C wasn't being used for the first few days. I'm attempting to repair it again with the same method but this time I've applied a thicker layer (3x extra layer, previously only 1 layer). Will see how how it goes over the weekend and if it fails again a new radiator will be needed.

I think i'll be getting a alloy Golpher one down the track.....

For those interested: JB Weld was purchased from Autobarn for around $10 or so..(its suppose to have a shelf life of 20yrs?)
If your looking for a cheap fix...maybe try this?

Disclaimer: I take no responsiblity if you use this product. Use at your own risk :)

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Ouch sorry Thai to hear that hope you get it fix soon mate.

Ok guys after the a 2nd cond radiator was fitted + thermostat by my mate. Everything else is fine at idle stage.

But a new symptom has occurred, to give you a example (SEMI AUTO) in gear two, holding at 4000rpm, when I give it a little boost the temp gauge rises, nearly to 3/4 way very quickly. Then driving in auto , steady around 2-3500RPM is drop back down a tad lower then the middle line which is good, the normal temp. What i dont understand is why is it that it raises the temperature so quick?

The a/c cuts in & out now at times, sometimes just blowing hot air out.

Hope someone are able to share some light to me and my mate to see where we can start.

Cheers all

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thermoswitch buggered?

how about the thermostat? was that recently replaced too?

G

Unregistered
Thermostat installed correct way up and air bled from system?

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
According to nhan yes he did , but will pass the information on .

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
The major service was done 100k which my mate also at the time said it was replaced at the time, however he's back oversea's now. If he did or not replaced it i wouldn't have a clue, based on trust, I certainly hope he did, because the car was at his workshop.

But its now 137k now.

Is there a way we can test if it is the failure of the water pump?

Cheers

Top Bottom