Ralliart glow in intake slots in the grille, opinions?

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
So, I was cruising through a few VR-4 photos, as you do, and noticed that the air vents look exactly the same as the Ralliart logo (even have the same number) it is dissapointingly far less pronounced on my Black PFL Legnum.

What I want to do is paint the inside of the slots red and orange, (corresponding to the ralliart logo) and set up a mild white LED strip inside the grille so that the reflective glow creates a faint ralliart logo when the parking lights are on.

FrontVR4.jpg

Thoughts?

Has this been done before?

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Have taken the grille off and started, masked off and begun to paint the slots I'll head into Jaycar today and grab an LED strip and switch to trial.

I'll take photos of my progress, technically because the LED strip will be white, it should comply with ADRs, will have to check the relevant section, its unfortunate that the ralliart logo is orange and red as red is not meant to be visible from the front of the car.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I like that idea... I also noticed that the holes are the same as the logo, thought it was a nice touch.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
so...
  • after about 5 hours from conception
  • a trip to jaycar to get some LEDs, a soldering iron, and some wire;
  • finding out that paint will sometimes melt plastic (like my bumper);
  • realising that soldering isn't as easy as it looks;
  • and that persistence counts for a lot;
  • finding that the wiring for my parking lights was in even worse condition than my soldering job;
  • working out how the hell a 3 way switch works, whilst only wanting to turn something on and off...
  • here is the result, will get a photo on the car tonight.
Will look pretty good when I have the HID headlights with the Xbaled Halos from Christian I think.

[Image not found]

I have a cutoff switch installed under the hood;
[Image not found]

Photo on the car tonight to come, there will almost definitely be some cleaning to do in behind the grille so its not showing up an embarrassingly dirty engine bay.

20140914_213129.jpg
20140914_213040.jpg

Top Bottom