Re coating wheels- Powdercoat Vs 2 Pak

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
I've read so many mixed emotions regarding re painting a set of wheels. On other forums I've read that powder coating is more durable and has a better finish yet on another site it will tell me the opposite!!

Apologies if this has been raised before but
Thought as my last point of call (leaning toward powder coating at this stage) I would ask fellow vr4 enthusiasts if anyone has had any recent experience with either methods. Any feedback would be great :)

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
powder coating is stronger, lasts longer, but harder to fix when there is a scratch. 2 pak can look nicer but is much softer, but can be repaired easier.

try googling plastidip, you can do 4 sets of wheels with 4 cans + their primer for about $90. can be done with the tyres on the rim no problem just peel off the excess

edit: i've never had mine powder coated, but a few of my mates who have been to different coaters never end up with the colour they want. my next door neighbour just had this happen on his XR6 (instead of a grey they looked more like a gross primer colour)

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I have both options at the moment, 2pak paint on the Leggy rims, and powdercoat on my Hilux surf rims, the powdercoat definately seems more durable. I have lots of chips from rocks on the painted rims, and none on the podercoated rims which actually sees dirt roads etc. Finish on both is good, if you can find the colour you want in powdercoat, here paint definately wins.

Then there is the argument about baking the rims and the impact (if any) it has on the alloy, I am leaving that one alone.....

As for touch up of powdercoat, you can get touch up paint to suit the dulux colours.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Thanks I'll sus out Plasti dip. always open to other options.

Yes I know about the potential implications of the heating process when powder coating. Ill try not to think about it ;)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I've had both and feel that, in some situations, each finish is equally fragile (Read: When your wife hits the gutter :( ....)

I currently have custom painted. I discovered a nice little chip on one spoke, probably from a stone. I also had a chip out of one of my spokes on my old powder coated E8 rims (Probably from the same thing) I must say that i personally prefer the finish/shine/smooth texture of the paint.

What i like about powdercoating is it is quick and easy and pretty cheap (say $50-60 per wheel) but you will be limited for colour choice at those rates.

Painting, well just name your colour ;) but expect to pay upwards of $150-200 a piece for a quality job

**Rates quoted are from what i have quoted and obviously will vary

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Thanks Trevor. Yeah nothing will save your rims from the missus trying to parallel park!!

Your quotes are very similar to mine. I'd like to go 2 pak but for the cost of powder coating, I think I will head down this path. Unless someone in SA has any contacts with a spray painter who wants to do a cash job ;)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Powdercoating is more durable finish and you should be able to match the colour properly if you try hard enough, but I'd never do it due to heat concerns.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Thanks all for your responses. From the feedback I've had here and the conversation I had with a very reputable powder coater in Adelaide, I think I will go with powder coating. The manager assured me that they've never had any cracking issues with wheels made from ferrous and nonferrous metal. They do a lot of work for local car dealerships and had quite a few wheels for private customers.

Next dilemma of course is COLOUR. My car is a black PFL Legnum and I'm not sure on keeping the black on black them??

Does anyone here have any Photoshop skills? I wouldn't mind seeing a black Legnum with R34 GTR wheels in satin black AND also in bronze. Open to other suggestions btw.

Has anyone ever seen wheels painted/powder coated in Bronze Pearl?? Will this look shite?? I did a google search found this- http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=514633

Definitely not how it looked on the colour chart!! Please help :)

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Hey, i think user Godzilla has had two sets of wheels pained bronze find his thread. Where are you going for powder coating? Price?

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
I've seen plenty of flat bronze style but keen to see a pearl.

Powdet coater is Steve Wicks in Gepps Cross. Cost is $90 per 18" rim.

Any photoshop whiz on ozvr4??

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
What about anodizing?

I looked into this, but i suspect that the alloys used in wheels cant be colour anodized. from what I found wheels are usually made of high silicon content alloy, and this makes them go a dark grey (was described as "ugly" in the thing I read) colour when anodized..

but as you cant easily identify exactly what alloy was used in your wheels without special tools I didn't dig much further.. if you take them to a anodizing place they may be able to tell you if it can be done..

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Hey guys thinking of powder coating my rims the volk orange color but I can't find a paint code or anything...so how do I get that color?? Just take a picture to the powdercoater??

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hey guys thinking of powder coating my rims the volk orange color but I can't find a paint code or anything...so how do I get that color?? Just take a picture to the powdercoater??

When I had my rims done the powdercoating place gave me one of those sheets with all their colour samples on it so I could match what I wanted. It is difficult to visualise the entire rim from a 5cm square of colour though.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Yeah powder coating only gives certain colours. There is a fluroish orange like my green colour though

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Can't remember where i got mine done, i think it was 60ish a wheel and it was done by accident in 2 days, was sposed to be 2 weeks. TME has a contact that he uses so maybe ask him

Top Bottom