Re-painting an Intercooler..

G

Unregistered
Im having my front kit and grill re-painted from today.
I was wondering if it would be worth re-spraying my intercooler and if it is i was thinking about doing it with chrome spray paint to give it the shiney new look, or go black to conceal it from the police and thieving buggers (just so i can go under the radar)...
I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas and what you think of my ideas, cheers in advance for the help..

Attachments

• P1210006.JPG
    P1210006.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
G

Unregistered
give it a polish up!

i wouldn't paint it, especially chrome, as it can reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler, by stopping it from dissipating heat.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
There was a thread the other day where SiliconAngel posted a link to a page about the effect that colour has on intercoolers.

Have a search around for it - it basically said that painting them was bad as it stopped heat transfer.

cheers

Lee

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just to reiterate, DO NOT DO IT! Painting any heat transfer surface with normal paint will substantially reduce it's thermally conductive properties, effectively insulating it from air (or water, if it's part of a liquid cooling system). Anodising on the other hand impregnates the metal with a dye, which can improve heat transfer, especially in unforced air applications. The more air that's forced across your heat transfer surface, however, the less important colour is to the whole process.

So basically black anodising will give you a benefit to intercooler temps while crawling through traffic or stationary, but won't make a whiff of difference driving down the freeway. So it depends on your typical driving habits / circumstances whether its a worthwhile pursuit or not.

See here for more info.

G

Unregistered
True that well guess thats a big old NO to that idea damn oh well cheers anyway for the help...
Man its sad driving round without a front kit on it just looks wierd..

G

Unregistered
Papatoetoe ? u just made that up ? hehehe

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
nah, I had come off the motorway at East Tamaki and was waiting first in the lights to turn right towards Middlemore, you were going south. I was driving the work Pulsar.

G

Unregistered
Yeah i was goin to look for another cheap little car out in papatoetoe but didnt find anything.. Its sad driving without the front on it just feels wrong..

Top Bottom