ayreds

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
legnum vr4
Hello OZVR4. I have a 98 FL Legnum.
I had a problem with my rear diff, I blew an axle (outer) seal. and replaced it today as well as the other side and put the diff back in, filled it with correct oil and fluid and now, for some reason its really sluggish when taking off, really really struggles in reverse and rolls when in park. but can still select all the gears.
Does anybody know what might be going on?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'd go back to what you replaced..

jack up all 4 wheels.. see if its spinning freely when hand brake is of.. if not.. then there's something stopping it from spinning.. check park brake assembly if you removed this..

if not, I'd check the oil in the diff..

I assume yours got ayc?

if so, what oil did you use? you replaced both oils? non ayc side and ayc side?

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
Did you seat the axles back in correctly/all the way.
You have to make sure that the locking ring is locked into it's slot.
You can tell by looking at the metal dust covers at the diff end of the axles, they should be sloted into the recess of the diff.

ayreds

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
legnum vr4
The oils are correct. The wheels spin freely. After I jackef it up again I noticed the axle weren't sitting all the way in. I managed to push the passanger side in and niw it sits flush to the axle but on the drivers side its still sitting about 3mm out and cant get it to go in any further.
I don't supposed someone could up load a pic of how its ment to look like?
2014-07-26 16.17.46.jpg

ayreds

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
legnum vr4
How tight should that locking ring be?

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
When I refitted my axles, the rear drivers was the hardest to get back in all the way.
I turned the castelated nut over (the one that the split pin goes through, on the outside end of the axle), and put it back on the axle until the end of the nut was level with the end of the axle.
Then I hit the axle/nut with a lump hammer a few times to get it back in.
You might have to push the hub towards the car and push the axle towards the car to compress the uni joints while hitting it.
Just make sure you don't damage the end of the axle with the hammer.
I hold no responsability if you stuff this up.

ayreds

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
legnum vr4
this sounds like a job for DUN dun dar Mechanic Man.
But cheers for your help.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Hi guys,

I need to change LH diff seal and I want to change both, but I dont exactly know how, I mean I know but I dont know any tips, maybe somebody know how to do it quick and easy.
Im thinking about remove whole knuckles to remove drive shafts but maybe is different, easier way to do it ;) and Im thinking to put new ones through socket with the same diameter... What you think guys? Will work?

P.S. Seriously somebody need to do something with search engine, its completely useless :(

Top Bottom