Rear diff on it's way out......

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Terminal is a broad word... It doesn't say how long it will take.

2 years and counting since I found my fluids were mixing, can't believe it hasn't failed yet.

A hypoid gear produces extreme pressure between the teeth which requires certain additives in the oil to ensure a long service life. ATF doesn't have these additives so its going to result in premature failure.
You are right though, there is no accurate to tell how long it will last. If it only started mixing during your ownership, you can probably do lots to make sure it lasts a decent length of time - change the oil often, monitor how much ATF is mixing, keep an eye on the swarf in the oil and so forth.

I would still want to have a spare sitting by if the VR-4 was my daily though...

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Kenneth,

Is there any form of drawing or material information for this seal that we cannot get?

Just curious as to if I could ask around some hydraulic seal places if they could manufacture some. (If it was cost effective.)
Not that I am aware of.
I was talking to Bill at Ralliart about it, he looked everywhere and couldn't find anything... He said they had a whole lot of diffs laying about as scrap just because they couldn't get a replacement seal.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Not that I am aware of.
I was talking to Bill at Ralliart about it, he looked everywhere and couldn't find anything... He said they had a whole lot of diffs laying about as scrap just because they couldn't get a replacement seal.
Do you know where I would be able to get my hands on a seal that is damaged? Say, if a diff is blown or the seal has a slight nick in it. Also, are they easily to remove?

If it is possible, I would like to look into manufacturing a replacement. Even if it doesn't last as long as OEM (which can be random intervals) its better than throwing away your diff.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Do you know where I would be able to get my hands on a seal that is damaged? Say, if a diff is blown or the seal has a slight nick in it. Also, are they easily to remove?

If it is possible, I would like to look into manufacturing a replacement. Even if it doesn't last as long as OEM (which can be random intervals) its better than throwing away your diff.
I don't have one sorry (not without pulling apart a good diff) so I can't help. It might pay to search on Evo forums

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
There used to be a company that made custom seals in Seven Hills in Sydney. If I recall the company was called Australian seals or Aussie seals. When I used to work for BSC motion technology 17 odd years ago this was a supplier we would use for custom seals. I am not sure if they still exist but there are companies out there that can make seals. They are not cheap but you can specify materials as well. If a google search doesn't land you anything try calling BSC.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
No, not yet. Need a OEM seal first. Waiting for @pretzil to swap out his borked one for his s-ayc.

Top Bottom