Rear wheel hub removal

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hey kids, long time no write! I hope you're all doing well :)

I need to replace a snapped wheel lug, but to do so I need to remove the wheel hub. I've got the caliper, disc and castle nut off, but uncertain if anything else needs disassembly at this point. The hub is stuck hard, so I guess I'm going to have to get some sort of bracket to attach my slide hammer to in order to knock it off, but before I get into that I obviously need to remove anything else to avoid damaging anything (or just wasting my time trying to get something off that's still bolted in somewhere). I did search for guides and I've looked at Youtube vids etc, but there are so many design variations on every different model of car, without finding one specifically for a VR4 it seemed a bit pointless.

Thanks for your help!

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Horry crap, a wild Trevor appears!

From what I remember the last time I changed my hubs is that they can be a right bitch sometimes and need some "persuasion".

From ASA:

upload_2018-6-16_11-29-33.png

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
*slaps head* Shows just how long it is since I thought about cars - I didn't even think about checking ASA! I'm going to have to find it and get it running again, I haven't had it installed in years :-/

This wheel hub isn't moving at all, I'm going to need some sort of removal tool. I might have to give up while I get something organised - so frustrating! >.<

Thanks Matt, really appreciate that!

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
All you have to do is remove what you already removed and also 4 bolts holding hub from behind, there is good access to them so you can do it without touching driveshaft. After that just wiggle it out and slide off the driveshaft.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LoL at Matt, I'd suggest it's rusted on from personal experience, wriggling it, is a waste of energy.

Trev, I hired a hydraulic bearing puller. Also required a heap of penetrine and shocks to get it to let go.

Good to see some of the old timers still lurking in the shadows.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Lol at you then, Im talking about removing whole assembly, I did it on mine 4 times already and never had any problems. Its just on 4 bolts from behind and nothing else if its rusted then just tap it with small hammer and will let go.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
All you have to do is remove what you already removed and also 4 bolts holding hub from behind, there is good access to them so you can do it without touching driveshaft. After that just wiggle it out and slide off the driveshaft.
Thanks for the suggestion Matt :) Do you mean these four bolts?
WheelHubRemoval01.JPG

Even if I remove the whole assembly like that, I will still need to remove the hub... Or will it just fall off the driveshaft? I've found bearing pullers locally for around $60, contemplating whether it would be a waste at that much...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
LoL at Matt, I'd suggest it's rusted on from personal experience, wriggling it, is a waste of energy.

Trev, I hired a hydraulic bearing puller. Also required a heap of penetrine and shocks to get it to let go.

Good to see some of the old timers still lurking in the shadows.
Thanks Kat, yeah that's what I was afraid of... :-/

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Yeah, those bolts. Yes will just fall off but obviously you have to undo nut holding driveshaft too. Also Im not 100% sure cause Ive never done it but it may be possible you dont have to remve anything, maybe wheel stud just miss hub and youll be able to put new one too. But youd have to try, just grab a hammer, remove old one and see what happen, even if wont work you will have to do it later anyway and it may save you couple hours of work ;) I know its possible on some cars, good luck

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
... it may be possible you dont have to remve anything, maybe wheel stud just miss hub and youll be able to put new one too...
No such joy - with the drum assembly behind it, it's impossible to get any of the studs to push through unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion, though :)

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Ahh ture! I forgot that we have the best setup possible :/ yeah it wont work :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Well unfortunately I couldn't get to those four bolts, there are too many other components in the way.

I have solved it though - I was able to borrow a hub puller kit from a local workshop - they didn't even charge me, just got a $200 deposit and asked for it back by the end of the day (I had it back in 20 mins). It took about two minutes to get it off, but that's a $400 tool - basically a big slide hammer with an attachment that bolts to a four, five or six stud wheel hub.

For anyone needing to get their rear wheel hub off (to replace a broken wheel lug or bearings) get yourself a gear puller. I've just ordered one in case I need to do this again in a hurry - $27.50 from this ebay seller. For reference, the hub is ~135mm across, so you'll need a 150mm gear puller - the 75 and 100mm ones are too small.

I took some photos, when I get time I'll get them off my phone and upload them.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
z0mg, Trev's milkshake has brought all the boys (Yes Kat, you're one of the boys ;)) to the yard! :D

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Just to confirm... Today I did exactly what I said above haha, was removing hub and all I removed was driveshaft nut and four hub bolts from behind and after two small hammer hits whole hub assembly was off. Didnt even have to touch handbrake shoes ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
OH HAI!!!

:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Hey Chris!

z0mg, Trev's milkshake has brought all the boys (Yes Kat, you're one of the boys ;)) to the yard! :D
I should certainly hope so ;-) Things are certainly quieter around here than I remember them, but then I'm part of the problem ;-)

Just to confirm... Today I did exactly what I said above haha, was removing hub and all I removed was driveshaft nut and four hub bolts from behind and after two small hammer hits whole hub assembly was off. Didnt even have to touch handbrake shoes ;)
Really? Well I must be doing something seriously wrong then... :-/

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Yeah, you can put 1/2 drive socket from the back, between driveshaft CV and knuckle then, you need undo driveshaft nut and get piece of pipe or good screwdriver and just knock whole hib assembly out. You dont have to touch handbrake at all, I mean just to make it loose a bit to remove rotor, nothing else ;)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I can confirm that the rear wheel hub can be removed without needing to do anything other than remove the wheel, axle castle nut and the four bolts holding the hub onto the suspension arm assembly.

The process for me was:
  1. Remove wheel
  2. Remove axle castle nut split pin
  3. Remove axle castle nut (best done with impact gun that has more than 500Nm of nut busting torque)
  4. Remove the four 14mm bolts holding the hub assembly
Removing those four bolts requires a long and thin 14mm socket. It may also need to be lightly hit with a small hammer in order to get it onto each bolt. This is made a little easier by pushing the axle in towards the diff a little (you can do this because the axle itself has about 40mm of available travel in it to allow for changes in axle length as the suspension rides up and down.

Once the bolts are backed out all the way, you can remove the hub. However, it may be frozen onto the suspension assembly a bit. Hit on the outside of the hub assembly (the big round part which the studs are mounted to) and it will eventually break off. Just try to avoid hitting your park brake shoes.

If you really struggle, you can remove all the park brake components but then you'll need to make sure you put it all back together the right way. There's about 10 components (including springs) you need to be aware of.

Top Bottom