Rebuilding a 6A13tt - whats involved

G

Unregistered
So, rebuilding a 6A13tt, for the sake of knowledge;

What's involved, what usually breaks first.

Are there oil issues like RB26dett's that can see piston 5 or 6 let go or spin a bearing?

Any design flaws or inadequacies.

Is it a biatch to rebuild a v6, more camshafts etc? or is it easier than most standard engines out there.

In OZ I can't really see anyone having to face a rebuild just yet, but pays to find out all you can.

What do you think would be a reasonable starting price get a workshop to hoist out and strengthen the internals of a still functioning standard engine for those chasing much higher power figures by playing with larger turbo setups like TD04's.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I have heard of very very few 6A13TT's dieing, one from no oil pressure, and one or two from having the rods fail at high boost after having major fuelling and detonation problems.

If you are keeping the car standardish then it isn't much you have to worry about. If you are upgrading to TD04's and running quite a bit of power through them, then I would suggest getting the pistons and rods forged.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Brad I thought major engine components in the VR4's WERE forged steel, as designed by RalliArt?

G

Unregistered
vary rarely to cars come with forged internals.. vr4's are no exemption

possibly hypereutectic, but i even doubt that.

G

Unregistered
Having built several of these ourselves, they are a very strong motor.
Most of the ones I have rebuilt have been mostly because of detonation smashing pistons. They are an expensive motor to rebuid because the block needs to be tunnel honed, aftermarket bearings are nearly non existant for the crankshaft although we are working with ACL bearings now to get some custom made for undersize crankshafts. Thats been teh big hold up on the frankenstein motor we have been building.

Otherwise forged rods / pistons are already made and stocked. ARP components readily available and the rest of the motor is straight forward. Although if treated right the stock motor is good for highish boost I would saftely say up to around 16 - 18 psi on stock internals as an everyday application.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I assume the motor you're talking about there is your 6a12 mivec + 6a13 sohc motor. How is that motor going David? Any power figures?

G

Unregistered
Actaully our frankenstein motor is a combination of a 6A12 DOHC Mivec, 6A13 SOHC and 6A13 DOHC motor. No power figures as no takers for it yet so I havn't bothered to finish building it.

I planned if I got a Galant, to swap the pistons out of this engine and rebuild it back to a forged 6A13 DOHC motor for my own galant.

G

Unregistered
Mitsiman - if the block didn't have to be honed and the engine was perfectly fine, how much would it cost to drop in forged pistons and other assorted garnish, if the motor arrived on a create?

G

Unregistered
6a13tt

I own a 97 Type-s legnum vr4 and we have heard the engines are pretty strong, unfortuneatly we have had a nightmare with ours, firstly it was one of the recalled ones and was off teh road for about 3 months waiting on a part for the transmission, then it was broken into and ahd our stereo stolen and during this it was painted in the wrong colour by the panel beaters, had the front and rear skirts smashed by the panel beaters and the tow truck. we got it back and after about 6 months it blew a head gasket and one of the turbo seals went. we shelled out 5500 on getting this fixed and having a new front mount installed with some shiny piping, and both turbo's reconditioned. once the turbos were put back in one detonated and before we got our car back it had to be taken apart again, that problem was suposedly resolved and we got our car back and managed to do 4500kms before it has aparently started to run a bearing.
any advice as to where to go from here, we have shelled out about 6k on top of the 28k we paid for it about 6 years ago and I am aprehensive about putting a donor motor into it if things are going to implode again. I am also concerend that the mechanics that did the repairs for us didnt find all the bits from the turbo implosion and this might have caused the latest problem. if so we will take the necessary action against them but would this be easy to prove.
I would appreciate any advice you could offer on our situation.
Kind regards,
Nathan
here is a link to some pics of it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/IkeAndoit/IkesAlbum/photo#5089941917985225298
http://picasaweb.google.com/IkeAndoit/IkesAlbum/photo#5089941922280192626
http://picasaweb.google.com/IkeAndoit/IkesAlbum/photo#5097013182206131906

G

Unregistered
I had forgotten about this post.

The 6A13 motor we have, has been converted back to a standard 6A13 turbo motor, we got some new forged low comp turbo pistons for it and will rebuild it with some forged rods, ARP main and head stud kits and midly worked cylinder heads. I estiamte the price for this motor would be around the $6K bracket

I don't build engines without reboring and honing. I won't just fit a set of forged pistons in tired bores. additionall the engine block will need to be faced and tunnel honed before being rebuilt.

Average price to do the most basic work of boring, honing, facing, tunnel honed (On crankshaft journals), would be around $900.00 plus parts

G

Unregistered
nathan sorry to hear of your missfortune, wow david thats a bit of coin i dont think ill be doing that in a hurry.lol

G

Unregistered
6a13tt

I recently purchased a motor and box for my lancer coupe, i already have the 612 in it but now wanting to build up the 13tt with single turbo and forged internals.
Is there any parts that will fit inside the block like how the 81mm 4ag toyota pistons and b6 rods are compattable in the 4g93 motors?
Have seen someone do single turbo gt30 that is dynoed around 400kw atw. stock inside too, know that the motor will not last at that but sounds like they are built fairly strong.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol Brad, i have lost count how many times he has been reminded about the manifolds... id be very very keen for some too :(

G

Unregistered
900 plus parts is very good when you look at a commo v6 (3.6l) rebuild as above starting at 4k.

David what sort of coin for the frankienstien motor I had a 6a12 mivec for a few days before i parked into the back of another car and thought it was sweet to drive and in a 1100kg ish car it was @#$ ing quick(for a few days lol). So i would be interested in some sort of hybred vr4 mivec twin turbo beast!!!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
what car are oyu talking about when you say 1100kg? the galant is like 1600kg afaik..

G

Unregistered
-------mutters under breath and fast proton wira------- Its based of off the cc lancer

Top Bottom