Recommended shutdown procedure?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Howzit guys...

I do not have a turbo-timer installed which means that I time shutdowns on my stopwatch :p

Would appreciate some advice if I am performing the correct shutdown procedure.

Driven hard: idle for 2 minutes

Driven normally: 45 - 60 seconds (the ambient temperature varies between 7oC and 12oC when I arrive home at the moment).

Is this more or less ok?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I just idle down the last 500 metres or so of my drive and just turn the car off after I have parked it in the garage which takes another 10 seconds or so :)

With modern fully synthetic oils and water cooled turbos it isn't very important any more, unless you've been giving the car a hard time :)

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
I just idle down the last 500 metres or so of my drive and just turn the car off after I have parked it in the garage which takes another 10 seconds or so :)

With modern fully synthetic oils and water cooled turbos it isn't very important any more, unless you've been giving the car a hard time :)

you have 1 hell of a long driveway Brad :) Ah well that's good to know, thanks.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah the last 400m of road is downhill and my driveway is sort of straight on at the end of the road, so I just knock it into 5th and just idle the whole way down, at the top I will be doing 60kmh and at the bottom about 40kmh :)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah, just cruise the last part of your trip. Turbo timers are overated. Plus in NSW you will get defected for having one. I think I have one on my Leggie coming over, I will just take it off and put it on eBay.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Correct shutdown procedure is to turn the key in an anticlockwise direction until all the lights on the dash go off...:p

Seriously, just stay off continuous high boost for the last minute or two of your trip. Just wasting fuel otherwise.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
OK cool thanks guys, pleased at the prospect of not sitting in the car like a gimp with the engine running for (x) seconds anymore :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Just leave it in the driveway with the keys in it running. I'm sure someone will know what to do with it when they walk past!

Seriously, fair question though :)

Top Bottom