Reconditioning your brake booster - worth it?

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
yep thats the castrol i use too.
what sort of vr4 life do we get out of our brake fluids? 6mnths/20,000km ?

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture. All brakefluids are designed to last 2 years or 45,000k's.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
hahaha if Jim or tiv see me post they'll know why...
I am ANAL about brake fluid changes. Every car that comes into my backyard will get a brake fluid change/clutch fluid change on the house...
I have had some shockers....worst one was a clutch master cyl where the fluid had turned into jelly in most parts....
The difference in pedal feel and bite is amazing with a fluid change.
Great thing to learn how to do as I can tell you now 95% of mechanics will not do a proper bleed when you ask for one to be done!

Also on the topic, I recently rebuilt my front calipers (I dunno, I think I have a brake parts fetish) and WOAH. Even though they have had clean fluid in them for at least 50,000k's I actually had rusty water drip out of the caliper. Unreal.

If you can, rebuild, or at least take apart, clean, and re-assemble the calipers too. Difference is amazing knowing all the pistons are moving as they should.
to take em apart all you need is a clean work area, rag, brake fluid, pick, tiny screwdriver, some 2000G sandpaper and an air compressor.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Hi Paul,

Would this kit help with a caliper rebuild/pullapart-clean --> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c4fec0e7

$79 for rubber orings,mini boots,grease etc. wonder if there are alternatives.

That's a really good price :)

When I do a caliper rebuild I usually rebuild them first, then send them off to the sandblasters ($30 a pair, $50 F+R) and then give them a few nice coats of paint.

In imports Ive mainly seen ripped/torn dustboots a few times, I havent done it hundreds of times but it's a fairly straight forward job. I just got some instructions off the interwebz and yeah after you do it once or twice you get the hang of it :)

To me, knowing my aged car has an almost brand new braking system from pedal to caliper gives me great re-assurance. Also using a set of 4WD pads (DB1223)'s and my god they stop well...

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Reasonably confident I've gotta stuck piston(s) front left, brake a little harder and I hear the clack of what I think is pads hitting rotor. I've never rebuilt a caliper or bled brakes, should be fun to figure out :p

Ps do we need evoscan to bleed our abs?

Top Bottom