Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Hey Everyone in VR-4 land.

Just reaching out to see if anyone has had their leather steering wheel retrimmed before and were you happy with the results?

I have the Momo wheel in my leggie, (identical to the evo 4-6 wheels) and mine is looking quite sun damaged and smooth on the right hand side of the wheel and was weighing up whether I get it "rejuvenated" (smoothness will remain though) or recovered? the leather itself is still in one piece and not falling apart.

A brand spanker through Amayama is around the $700 USD mark :(

Thanks
Steve

R Kilburn

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roland
Drive
1996 PFL VR-4 Galant
Sorry I remember someone just had it done not too long ago and I could'nt find the post. Ill keep looking

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Cheers Mate,
I've been looking for ages but can't find anything...
Steve

Sorry I remember someone just had it done not too long ago and I could'nt find the post. Ill keep looking

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Let us know how your quote goes... I wouldn't mind getting my Nardi redone eventually

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
Same here. Ive got a Momo good to go. Have been quoted 200 for a retrim to factory standards.
Haven't seen the quality of the workmanship tho yet.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
A few guys here have gone through Peter at planet soarer and he is great. He is well worth the money and the turn around is fast. I recently got my Momo wheel done and my shifter and handbrake:

Shifter and handbrake.JPG

Steering wheel.JPG

Well worth the money, just tell him what you want and he will do it. I wanted a mix of perforated leather and normal leather with beige stitching and I just had to mark out where I wanted what and he made it so.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
where is he located?

I'd need to organise a spare car for a week or so if he's interstate

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
3-4day turn around usually. Very good quality. Mine is sill going strong and ill be using him again whenever needed

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Not sure if anyone here has renewed or repaired their own leather steering wheel.
I've done mine just now, still at the dye stage, and last week did my son's Momo for his xr6.
The only real task is use lots of acetone for cleaning and then wiping prior to dying.
I say task because it can take about 500ml to remove oils and residue, including any good gloss still on the wheel.
The Momo was done on a bench which is easier than in the car.
Use lots of 360 or higher paper, wet n dry, but all dry.
I finished with 2000 wet n dry with a final acetone wipe prior to dyeing.
Dye is applied with a small piece of natural sponge, wear nitrile type gloves for this.
Start at the instrument side and on a well soaked sponge apply in a radial motion.
We did about 3 coats allowing 15 mins to dry each time.
This is all water based so depending on temp you may need longer.
The top coat or gloss acrylic finisher takes a little more care, we used a small piece of microfiber cloth and again apply in a radial motion. 3 coats applied also taking care to first blot or rub any lettering or insignias.
We dampened our small cloth first to stop it soaking up to much product, pretty happy with the finish.
Read up and chose the Angelus product as it was local and well priced.

IMG_20180419_163229.jpg
IMG_20180420_134729.jpg
IMG_20180420_135037.jpg

Top Bottom